My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Friday, December 26, 2014

Christmas 2014

Happy Day After Christmas!

I finished all the stocking tags... my crazy last-minute project.. and they were fabulous. Mom says we're making all new stockings next year. We're starting on it in April.

I finished all my sewing projects except the ones to be shipped. And they will be shipped, eventually. I took a few days off from sewing to interact with three-dimensional people and make merry. I pulled the thread back out this morning and put my needles in the pin cushion that Grandbaby Mama #1 got me. I'm going to blog a bit and then decide on my next project. I know that I have some baby projects to work on and a little something for my Aunt Ginger. All my efforts for Christmas were graciously accepted (expect maybe the sign that says, "this too shall pass" that I made for my dad's bathroom).
 
The pillows I made for my nieces included some verses. I did ALL of Psalm 23 for Jamie's because she said that was her favorite verse. Sarabeth said, "hey... that was MY favorite verse" I said, "I'm telling God you stole my verse!" Gant Girls, being Gants can jump right in such humor.

And while I'm talking about how funny we Gant Girls are... Jamie came to me and said, "HEY... in  your blog you said I was a chubby baby!". Seems that my not-quite-ten year old mini-me Googled her name and mine and found my blog. To put it in perspective... my first ever blog entry was done on the day she was born... her whole life has been blogged about, at least the parts that involved me. I told her she was too smart for her own good. Note to self: must be careful about what I blog! But the chubby baby comment was true. I can't take it back.

Forgive me for skipping around chronologically... but my mind is swirling with new memories trying to find order. My brother Bryan and his new love arrived on the 22nd. The fact that he has a new love was not permitted on the blog until she had come down and met us so that I didn't scare her off with my over-sharing. I will just say that I have never seen him as happy or with someone who fit him so well and we all are quite smitten by her and hope she will be around for a long, long time forever.

On the 23rd everyone scurried around finishing preparations for our family Christmas gathering on the 24th. Pop, Bryan, his sweetheart, me and my two favorite redheads went to Babyland General. Those of you who have been around the blog for long know that the "headquarters" of the Cabbage Patch Kids dolls originated here in our humble little county. There is a large "hospital" where babies can be adopted - for a steep price - or bought in the gift shop for much less. I've taken my nieces there many, many times and we always dream of being able to adopt one of the "real" babies that are born in the cabbage patch. Just this last Summer the girls asked me how we get one of the special dolls. I answered, "you get Uncle Bryan to come with you". And so we went with Uncle Bryan, not expecting anything more than picking out a baby in the gift shop. Instead, he told the girls they could have a "real baby" and we got to go through the whole process of a "planned pregnancy" and a "birth of twins" in the cabbage patch. They named their dolls "Elizabeth James" and "Cora Angela". It was as much a gift to me as the girls, just being able to share such a fun memory with them!

When we got back home Cody and Marquee had arrived. She is ten weeks pregnant today and y'all... she is so sick! It breaks my heart! She was a trooper and hung in there with us with frequent interruptions. I didn't understand until talking to her in person that there had been a tear in the gestational sack that the doctor thinks will heal up - but still making things stressful for the new mommy and daddy.

Tasha is now 21 weeks and she is feeling well except for a lot of back pain and exhaustion. She's not sleeping well. She also came over and spent the night on the 23rd so we had a full - and very happy - house. 

I have so much love and respect for these girls who are carrying my grandbabies. I still remember the stress and strain and exhaustion... and I hate to tell them that it lasts far past the birth...

We did our traditional Christmas Eve brunch/gift exchange. Doing it during the day on the 24th allows for those who have other family obligations to be able to carry those out without interruption. So far it's working pretty well. We had a great spread including sausage balls, ham, a deli tray, a ton of goodies that my brother had shipped in from Zabar's in NYC, pound cake, cookies... just tons of good stuff.

We opened lots and lots of gifts. And then... we all headed for the Whine Cellar so that I could open two special surprises: a mini-fridge and a microwave! I have my own mini-kitchen in the Whine Cellar! You just can't imagine how much this will help me... climbing stairs are the worst thing for my back. Being able to do most of my meals down here is just HUGE.
I'm so grateful for all the love from my family. I'm glad that Tasha is "one of us" now and we look forward to many happy times ahead. I'm happy that my brother has a life filled with love and excitement for the future. I'm grateful for the many memories we made this year and for the memories still to come. I'm especially grateful for the ones who have joined our family this year and the ones who will be with us next year. God is good.

I'm not even finished yet! My mom has wanted a paddle boat for the lake ever since we first saw this property and this Christmas she got one!

It's a four-seater and even has a cooler in it for long days fishing on the lake!

On Christmas Day we exchanged gifts with Bryan and his girl - a much smaller, quieter gathering. I got a scrumptious dark purple fleece jacket from LL Bean. I wore it out this morning when the temps were hovering around freezing and it was toasty warm. I hate wearing coats so this is a perfect gift for me. I got lots of tea and with my new microwave I can reheat my cuppa tea as often as I need. I'm totally set for the cold months ahead.

I spent a lot of time on Christmas Day just resting and recovering from the previous busy days. Today I'm feeling better but still moving slow. I always move slow. I did make a trip to the grocery store this morning to get things to fill my little fridge. I picked up lots of frozen / shelf stable stuff and hummus, yogurt, milk, butter.

So that was Christmas. We're still basking in the afterglow and enjoying the peace. I'll end this with a few extra pictures from this week (for those who don't follow me on Facebook). Love and hugs, y'all!

Me and my sweet Jamie - who is not chubby at all!
My granddoggie, Sammy.
Are we having a Mickey or a Minnie?
 Austin got coal in his stocking.
 Jamie's body, Sarabeth's legs... it was pretty funny!
 Tasha's gifts from me and Austin. It says, "Let her sleep for when she wakes, she will move mountains." Austin cut out the shape, I did the lettering and Pop painted the mountains. Pop also picked out some sweet gifts for Cosette.
 Sarabeth holding her mommy
I didn't bother with much glam on Christmas but I did manage a little makeup. Just a little.
 Part of the sampler I made for my brother's new lady. I knew she liked pink and collected cookbooks. It ended up being one of my favorite things I made this year and she loved it!
Austin's gift from his dad and stepmom made by my Jland friend, Nelishia. There is a tiny one with a pink bow for Cosette.
 Completing the "adoption" at Babyland General.
That's all for now, y'all!




2 comments:

Wendy in Oz said...

Love love love hearing all about your family Christmas celebrations Heather. Sounds like you had so much fun together. Your handmade gifts look awesome! Wishing you and your family much love...xxx
Wendy in Oz

monique said...

Merry Christmas to you. Looks like you had an awesome holiday.
Those LLBean fleece jackets are the bomb.
I know you will enjoy the fridge and microwave and everything else.
This was a wonderful post.
xo m~