My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Saturday, June 9, 2018

Sarah Jane Bullock Baldwin Ward - Geneaology

Since I started the last post with my mom's paternal grandmother, I thought I would do this post on my dad's maternal grandmother. In this case, I did know this ancestor as she lived until I was 7. Although I was young when she passed away, I do remember her lovely home at 1001 Oakdale Road in Atlanta, because it was my first home. I have heard many stories from my dad and grandmother about the lady we called, "Grandma Ward". I even have a folder on my Facebook account where I have scanned in the love letters between her and my great-grandfather. I have the album set to private where only family members can read it (but if you are interested, I can add you).

Sarah Jane Bullock

1884–1975

BIRTH 18 MAY 1884  Marion, Georgia, USA

DEATH 14 DECEMBER 1975  Atlanta, Georgia


 Grandma Ward was born on May 18, 1884, to George Washington Bullock and Estell Maddux Bullock in Buena Vista, Georgia -a small town near Columbus, Georgia. Her parents were older - mid-thirties - when she was born. This seems perfectly normal today but I imagine it was less so back then.

The 1910 Census shows her and Mr. Robert Baldwin as newlyweds, living at 540 Front St, Columbus, Georgia. I know from my grandmother that Mr. Baldwin died of Bright's Disease (a type of kidney ailment) not long after their marriage and Grandma Ward was left a young widow. I have tried to locate Mr. Baldwin's death certificate but so far haven't had any luck. The 1914 Columbus City Directory lists her as a widow.

Lola Honiker "the Matchmaker" and my
lovely great-grandmother, Sarah Ward.
Her friend, Lola Honiker introduced her to Dr. Charles "Pelham" Ward, an Atlanta Physician. Dr. Ward had lost his wife in childbirth and had two young children, Cynthia and Charles. I never knew Charles but Aunt Cynthia - "Sis" as she was referred to by my grandmother - was a colorful part of my childhood. Sarah and Dr. Ward were married on November 6, 1917.

Sarah and Pelham Ward had three girls together - Jane, Leta and Bette. My grandma is the middle girl. In 1924 they moved into a home at 1001 Oakdale Rd, Atlanta, Georgia and that is where both Sarah and Pelham lived until their deaths. He died at 69 in 1939. She lived until the age of 91.

Most of my memories of Great-Grandma Ward are probably more anecdotal than actual memories. I've been told that she filled the house with lots of stray relatives. The 1940 Census shows her living with her step-daughter and three daughters, her sister Eva Mae Posey, a niece from one side of the family, a nephew from the other side of the family and Dr. Ward's first wife's mother. As I mentioned, her house was my first home... it was also my father's. He and his cousin Leslie were born the same week and they both lived there with their young families. As a small child I remember her renting space to Mormon missionaries. I remember meals in the breakfast nook and her rule about not "sipping before the blessing"... you couldn't take a sip of whatever you were drinking until after blessing had been said. I remember the screened porch on the side of her house. There was a lovely old sewing machine out there. When I was older I purchased my own antique sewing machine - the only antique I've ever owned - because it reminded me of her.

 I think this picture would have been taken on Grandma Ward's 90th birthday. I am the little girl seated in the front of the picture. My parents are third and fourth from the left on the back row. My Grandma Leta is the fifth from the left.
I don't have a date for this picture but I think it was taken in the early 70's.
1001 Oakdale Rd. This cuts off one side of the house but shows the lovely screened porch where we played as children.

I'm so proud of the legacy this lovely lady left. I'm happy that she is one of the ancestors I actually got to know and I'm happy to get to share her life with you in this small way.

0 comments: