My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Saturday, August 1, 2009

my Saturday

I survived Auggie and Devvie's End of Summer Blast last night. They didn't sleep at all. They woke me up 2 or three times. I think it was 3. Devin said I came out and yelled at them three times. Austin says I came out twice. At any rate... it's over.

The sort of raw throat feeling I had... which was in the back of my mouth yesterday... had taken over my mouth by this morning. It is thrush - a fungal infection that is a side effect of the steroid inhaler. Good times! I called the doctor this morning and said, "HELP!" so she called me in some nystatin that I'm supposed to rinse my mouth with four times a day, then gargle and swallow it. I did my first dose and gagged on it. It is insanely nasty.

I went in to work this morning, grudgingly. The truth is that I don't MIND working Saturdays but I'm also trying to keep a delicate balance right now of my resources... time, energy, money.... I'm not allowed to work any over time. I'm no longer allowed to work more than 8 hours on any day. But Duane wants me to work Saturdays. So basically... I'm in a situation where I need to work six days a week and frankly, I don't know how long I can do that. I have two dr appointments coming up in the next pay period and the only time I'm allowed to make up the time is on Saturday so... I guess I'll either be working every Saturday for awhile or I'll have to figure out how to make do on less.

Frankly... it has me a little aggravated. I won't elaborate too much... don't want my mouth to get me in trouble... I'm just worn out. And sick. And today I'm in a stupid amount of pain. When babies have thrush it seems like no big deal but I feel like I'm on fire from my lips to my stomach... it's really uncomfortable.

So I worked this morning and fortunately, sold a health policy that will make me a little extra money...

then I went to see Jim, Angie and the girls... and took them a bag of goodies for their trip to New Orleans tomorrow. I made a scavenger hunt for the girls... things to look for on the road like a police car that has someone pulled over or a stray dog - that sort of thing. I gave them crayons, coloring books, suckers... just random inexpensive things. Sarabeth and I played a few games of Connect 4. Jamie and I made bead necklaces... we had lunch... I didn't stay long but i wanted to see them before they left.

Then I went to the little farm market for some corn, cucumbers and tomatoes. I wanted peaches but they didn't look that good... I bought boiled peanuts...

Then I went to the bakery... had a nice chat with the Amish ladies... bought a lemon coconut pie (thinking that would be smooth and painless - not as much as I had hoped)... I bought a loaf of fresh baked bread.... I didn't spend much, but I do like buying stuff that's fresh and local.

Then I went to the pharmacy to get my new meds... again, thank God for health insurance.... I don't know if I will be able to handle this one... I'm almost at the point of not taking ANYTHING... I'd rather cough my head off than have my mouth feel this raw...

I went home and Austin and Devin were STILL up playing video games. They didn't sleep at all... I told Devin that unless his mom could come get him, that I was taking him home in the next half hour (so that I could take something for pain)... and he couldn't get his mom... so I took him home.

Austin fell asleep on the way back. Austin asked to go to Tasha's church for a back to school rally they were having... I told him no... I knew he was exhausted but didn't want to hurt her feelings so I took the role of the bad guy. He was relieved. He's asleep now.

I'm just watching the History channel and relaxing... that's my Saturday!


LYN said...


moshell's lilbit of space said...

never thought about telling you that...(sorry). Must rinse every time you use the inhalor.