My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Alice Clow Pennington - Genealogy

Alice Susan Clow

BIRTH 25 NOV 1882  Bangor, Marshall, Iowa, USA

DEATH 16 AUG 1963  Siloam Springs, Benton, Arkansas, USA





This photo was probably taken in Iowa about 1882. The man is believed to be Ezra Clow who was born in Ontario and died in Oklahoma in 1907. The two girls and boys are his children from an earlier marriage. The lady holding the baby is Lidia Worden Clow, the current wife who died in 1931 and is the daughter of the older lady, Susannah Peet. Susannah is the widow of William Worden who enlisted in the Federal Army from Wisconsin and died at Rome, GA in 1864. The baby is my mom's paternal grandmother, Alice Clow Pennington (1882-1963). The young boy is Calvin Clow who was killed in WWI. 

When we remember our deceased military on Memorial Day, William Worden and Calvin Clow are two of many I think of...

Here is a picture of Ezra and Lidia Clow, Alice's parents, in later years:



Alice married William Judson Pennington in 1905, in Miller, Missouri.


Here is a photo of Alice and William that I believe was taken on their wedding day. 
The 1930 Census shows them living in Hurlbert, Oklahoma. It's a small town even today. The last census showed around 500 residents. The 1940 Census is almost identical. In both reports he was listed as the Proprietor of a Filling Station. I know from my Uncle that the Clow family ran a restaurant/grocery store and if I remember correctly, the filling station was at the same location. 

And here are Alice and William Pennington in later life... 

Alice and William had three children:

Clarence, born in 1908 - my grandfather, my mom's dad
Zelda, born in 1910
Clyde, born in 1914. 

I was born in 1968 so I never met Alice Clow Pennington. I don't remember any stories that my mom shared about her, except that they would travel as children to visit. Eventually I'd like to put together a list of family members in a nice, neat book of some sort to pass down to the generations that follow me. There are a lot of us so it will take awhile but... what better place to begin my compilation than here? Hope you enjoyed! 

0 comments: