My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Monday, May 28, 2018

Memorial Day Weekend TV Viewing Recap - Girls Only Edition

Oh, what a blissful holiday weekend this has been for me! Y'all may get tired of hearing this but Austin being able to drive has CHANGED MY LIFE! Not only do I not have to take him to work but I can send him out to pick stuff up for me. Consequently, I have not left the house since Friday morning. It's glorious!

Because I have literally done nothing this weekend except watch tv and lounge about... there's nothing really interesting for me to share on my blog. Since I'm grasping at blog-writing straws, I thought it might be fun to look back over my recent television viewing history in case you're looking for something to watch - or something I would recommend you NOT watch. As always, I love suggestions about shows that you're enjoying so feel free to share those... and for the record, because this comes up every time I do a post like this, I have already watched Frankie and Grace, Call the Midwife and Downton Abbey. Bonus points for correctly choosing those as shows that I would enjoy watching because HECK YEAH!

Here are some things I've watched recently by myself - these are chick flick / girly / I'm just a geek programs.

Tulip Fever (movie from 2017) and because I watched that I fell down a rabbit hole of researching stuff on the bursting of the "tulip bubble" in the Netherlands in 1637. Yes, this was a major historical event. I watched two documentaries on Amazon Prime Video - Tulipmania and The Tulip Bubble.

I watched a documentary on Amazon Prime about West Point (the military school). That's the title of the documentary, by the way, West Point.

I started watching The Good Wife. I know a lot of people love it but I'm not really... I'm in maybe the tenth episode and... meh.

Every now and then Netflix or Amazon Prime will mess with me and suck me into a show that isn't in English. In that vein... I started watching 3rd Reich Mothers.... about women who were intentionally impregnated to breed for Germany during Hitler's reign and... then I realized it was in German. It had English subtitles but that's just too much work.

This weekend I have started about a dozen shows that didn't catch my interest. I may go back to them but... we'll see. Being Ginger was one. I started watching Band of Brothers and fell asleep. Monument Men - The Road to Rushmore... zzzzz.... Same with Eric Brown, A Pilot's Story. I'm going to feel really bad if someone google searches their show that they worked for years to develop and put out there and I'm categorizing it with ... too boring... my apologies to any film makers that I'm offending with this blog post. Honestly, what do I know?

Especially when you consider some of the shows that DID hold my interest... things like The Grange Fair - An American TraditionThe Tents (about the history of fashion week in NYC) Chicken People (about people who raise and show chickens), Men of the Cloth (documentary about tailors in New York City), Dealers Among Dealers (about the diamond trade), Inside Asprey: Luxury By Royal Appointment and lots and lots of episodes of Lock Up. Lock Up is my default program that I have playing at night while I'm sleeping.

I watched a documentary on World War I because, you know, Memorial Day. For giggles I watched Ali Wong's new Netflix special and Tig Notaro's comedy special. Both were edgy but funny.

West By Orphan Train was interesting. Did you know that for a period of about 75 years, kids from orphanages back East would be put on a train and sent to the West / Midwest to work on farms? The vetting process was random and not closely supervised and I just can't imagine what horror some kids must have faced.

I can still see some of the shows I watched last weekend... there was definitely a British Royalty theme at work:
Whatever Happened to The Windsors
Princes of the Palace
Prince Harry at 30
Fergie: Downfall of a Duchess
Princess Diana - A Life After Death
My Mother Diana - Prince William's Story of the Princess Diana

So... I know you're thinking I should probably get a hobby and you're probably right. There are a lot of days for me that pain makes it too hard to concentrate on anything like embroidery or genealogy and physically I just don't feel like moving. Laying still and half watching/half listening to the tv is about all I can manage at times and this weekend was one of those times. I'm also using my down time at home when I don't have Cosy - because it's a completely different viewing lineup when she's around - and when I'm not with Marvin, because he's a guy.

What did you do with your long holiday weekend? What are you watching when it's just you? Leave a comment here or on the Facebook link?

1 comments:

Rose S. said...

I have such different tastes in shows then my hubby. He loves UFC (fighting) and oh lets see... The Swamp and so on. Loves sports of Football. Some basketball but no baseball.
I watch reality shows. Like : The Bachelor and The Bachlotette. Survivor... My Big Fat Fabulous Life.
Netflix : Locked up ... I watched Seven Seconds... loved this . I've tried so many and just can't get my interest there.

Now with Summer here... I'm trying to be on my deck more and less TV and the grands of course!


Rose