My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Monday, June 4, 2018

Reasons To Love Monday

Happy Monday, friends! I'm really dragging today. It's mid-afternoon and I'm just now starting to try to find reasons to love this day. I tweaked my back last week carrying Cosy (which I should never do) and aggravated it again on Saturday. I'm just uncomfortable and that saps my creativity. The muscle relaxers I take are really strong, typically for people with muscular dystrophy and serious muscle cramping issues. They work well but make me really groggy and give me blurred vision which makes it hard to focus on anything. But it's Monday and I'm determined to give this week a fighting chance so here are my reasons to love it:

1. It's not raining. We've had so much rain recently. There's been terrible flooding around here. It's so damp that when the sun comes out it's like a tropical jungle from all the humidity. But today... it's not raining so... thumbs up for that!

2. I'm resting. My back hurts. I had a migraine yesterday and there's another one trying to sneak up on me today. My blood pressure is still high, no matter what I do but at least I don't have to do a darn thing except breathe. I love that now that Austin is driving I don't start Monday having to cart him around... nope, I can just chill. So chill I will.

3. Those muscle relaxers I talked about earlier? They're freaking magic. My back was cramping so badly two hours ago that I could not straighten up. So, yes I'm drowsy and that will stick with me until I finally go to sleep (probably not until tonight) but the pain is better. Sub-reason-to-love-category, being able to afford the meds I need, being able to afford to see the doctors that prescribe them, I'll never take that for granted. Life could be so much tougher than it is.

4. I started my morning with a call from my sweetie. He's not a morning person but he makes an effort to say good morning to me every day with either a call or a text and I appreciate the effort. Just knowing that he's thinking about me in the midst of all the other things he has to think about... it's quite nice.

5. Austin is picking up cat food for me on his way home from work. How much do I love not having to drag my aching body out into the hot, steamy June weather for little things like cat food? SOOOOO much!

6. Vacation Bible School starts at our church tonight. Angie leads the music and Pop is working and I, well, I have nothing at all to do with it but I love Vacation Bible School and I get excited for all the kids who will enjoy it this week. They do it up so big and fancy now! Our church serves dinner beforehand and it's just a real big deal and I'm happy that's happening in my community.

7. Tomorrow is date night! Last week I went down later in the week and it threw me completely off course but this week we're back on track. We even have plans to include Cosy in our Thursday activities. Two of my favorite people on the planet in the same place... it's just awesome!

8. Obviously, I can't do any blog post without talking about what I'm watching on tv. I should rebrand my blog to be something about being a couch potato or tv critic. It's just part and parcel of needing lots of rest... I watch a lot of tv. This weekend I watched an Amazon Prime Original Series - Red Oaks - and I loved, loved, loved it! It's directed by the same lady who did Fast Times at Ridgemont High and Clueless and National Lampoon things and... just tons of great stuff that I've enjoyed over the years. It's about a Country Club in New Jersey in the mid-eighties, sort of a coming of age show. Kind of Dirty Dancing... showing how the staff and the members of the club interact (and Jennifer Gray is the mother of the main character, how fun is that?) and also a bit Flamingo Kid, if you remember that movie. It's just great fun. I watched all three seasons this weekend. I'm also watching this British reality show called Nothing To Declare. It's about Customs Agents in Britain and how they catch people doing crazy stuff like entering the country with drugs and random stuff that they're not supposed to. I found it on YouTube where people have uploaded episodes. Anyways... these two shows have been great entertainment for me this weekend and started off this week better than it would otherwise have been.

Eight Reasons To Love Monday is pretty good, right? I've got another migraine coming on so it's going to have to do. I'd love to hear what your Reasons To Love this Monday are... you can leave them in the comments below or under the link on my Facebook page. Thanks for stopping by! Hope you have a great Monday and a great week! Love and hugs!

BONUS REASON! I was proof-reading this blog when Austin came in from work. He picked up some powerade for me because ... migraines, etc and he showed me something he added to my keychain. He found my mom's Crossing Guard whistle in the car and hooked it on to my key chain. We're in the time of year where she started getting really sick last year and there are lots of not great memories that I'm dealing with. This is a whole blog post in itself but there's quite a bit of PTSD for me in the things we went through last Summer. I'm grateful that I was in the place and space to be here for my mom. I'm honored that I was able to be right beside her when she took her last breath but there were two months of really hard stuff that we all went through and it's all still heavy on my mind. When the good memories come back, things like her whistle, I'm grateful. So... yay for Happy Monday memories!

0 comments: