My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Speaking Out

And on the 8th day... she finally got her antibiotic. Both of them. I went ahead and paid for both prescriptions but I'm only taking the stronger antibiotic because it's a shorter dose.

Mom rode with me to town to go to the pharmacy and Oscar got to be a "go dog". He loves to ride in the car. We decided to treat ourselves to Zaxby's drive-thru since Pop was playing in his weekly golf tournament at Mossy Creek. Ironically the exact amount we spent was equal to Pop's winnings in the tournament. The fun part was that the sweet girls in the drive-thru were adoring Oscar from a distance and I warned, "he's not as sweet as he looks" and right on cue he pulled his rabid pit bull impression. They laughed and gave us chicken tenders for him. Small towns rock.

Today was the first day back to school for our county and tomorrow my nieces go back to school. Jamie will be in 4th grade and Sarabeth in 6th. I had this video of Sarabeth that I wanted to share over the Summer but when I got it her dad was in Africa and she wanted to wait until he saw it before it was on the internet. I try to be considerate about what I blog about them because that's only fair. I think there's another part but this is the only one that made it to me... it's her talking about what Vacation Bible School means to her...

And I love it because this is a girl who used to be too shy to even speak to the ladies in the food line at church on Wednesday nights. She will always be an introvert but she has learned how important it is to speak up and speak out about what she believes in. And she's such a funny, insightful kid... the world should be so lucky to hear what she has to say!

That's important to me because I keep thinking about the Christians all over the world who are being persecuted for what they believe, especially in Iraq. I'm not a warmonger. I have lived through the results of war for my entire adult life by marrying the child of a man who was killed in Vietnam. I know what can happen when a kid is raised by a war widow, without a father and with a mom who is emotionally unstable. I know what it's like for my kids to not have their grandfather - a man who would have been such a wonderful influence on their life. I mean, I get the cost of war more than most. But I have to wonder if pulling out of Iraq before they had a strong government in place, leaving that country vulnerable to Islamic terrorist... was that the best idea? We still have a military presence in Korea. And Germany. So why the rush to leave Iraq? Makes me feel like all those lives that were lost during that war were for nothing because we're back to instability in that region of the world.

I know this is two political posts in a row and I don't want to be that bitter busy-body who sits around all day watching the news and grumbling about the state of things. So I'll make sure my next blog entry is heavy on the cat pictures and the whining about pain and light on politics.

Tomorrow Grey's Anatomy goes back to episode one in syndication. I've watched it all the way through three times in a row since I've been reluctantly retired. I'm thinking I need to find something new to watch in the afternoons. Wish Guiding Light was still on. And All My Children. And Ryan's Hope. My Ryan was named after Ryan's Hope (isn't that lame?) instead of being named after his father and grandfather, the aforementioned war hero. This is what happens when people have babies at 18. I couldn't name a baby "Ned" so instead of Robert Ned he is Robert Ryan. Anyways... I'm channel surfing tomorrow until I find something new to watch.

And that's about all the news for today. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods. Love and hugs, y'all!

0 comments: