Let me preface this by saying that my research has been via ancestry.com and not as concrete and valid as research that is done by genealogists who actually know what they're doing. If my research is right, it's super cool to have Maud as an ancestor. If my research is wrong, she's still a super cool historical figure to blog about. So, here goes:
my mom is the former
Norma Pennington, daughter of
Virginia Jackson, daughter of
Mary Alice Ray, daughter of
Mary Jane Alderman, daughter of
Daniel Alderman, son of
Nancy Ann Newton, daughter of
Isaac Newton, son of
Abraham Newton, son of another
Abraham Newton, son of
Daniel Newton, son of
Anne Loker, daughter of
Elizabeth French, daughter of
Susan Warren, daughter of
William Warren, son of
Margaret Leigh, daughter of
Eleanor Savage, daughter of
Katherine Stanley, daughter of
Lady Joan Goushill, daughter of
Elizabeth Fitzalan, daughter of
Elizabeth De Bohun, daughter of
Elizabeth deBadlesmere, daughter of
Margaret FitzGilbert deClare, daughter of
Juliana FitzGerald, daughter of
Matilda dePrendergast, daughter of
Matilda deBurgh, daughter of
Egidia deLacy, daughter of
Margaret deBraose, daughter of
Maud deSaint-Valery aka TOWANDA...
ok... maybe her name wasn't really TOWANDA but when I read her biography, my 26x great-grandmother sounded like a Steel Magnolia of the nth degree! This is the wikipedia account:
- William de Braose (1175 – 1210). Starved to death with his mother in Corfe Castle. He married Maud de Clare, daughter of Richard de Clare, 4th Earl of Hertford and Amice FitzRobert de Meullant of Gloucester, by whom he had issue, including John de Braose.
- Giles de Braose, Bishop of Hereford (1180 – 11 November 1215)
- Reginald de Braose (1178 –9 June 1228), he married firstly, Grecia Briwere, daughter of William Briwere and Beatrice de Vaux, and secondly, after 1222, Gwladus Ddu, daughter of Welsh Prince Llewelyn the Great. He had issue by his first wife, including William de Braose, who married Eva Marshal, and Matilda de Braose, who married Rhys Mechyll.
- Matilda de Braose (1172 – 29 December 1210), married Gruffydd ap Rhys II, by whom she had two sons, Rhys and Owain.
- Margaret de Braose (1177 – after 1255), married Walter de Lacy, 6th Baron Lacy of Trim Castle, Sheriff of Hereford, son of Hugh de Lacy, Lord of Meath and Rohese of Monmouth, by whom she had issue, including Gilbert de Lacy, Pernel de Lacy, and Egidia de Lacy. Margaret was buried at Priory Church in Holme Lacy. (this is my ancestor)
- Annora de Braose (1190 – 1241), married Hugh de Mortimer
- Loretta de Braose, married Robert de Beaumont, 4th Earl of Leicester. She died without issue.
- John de Braose (c.1180 – 1205), married Amabil de Limesi
- Flandrina de Braose, Abbess of Godstow, (elected 1242, deposed 1248).