My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Friday, November 20, 2009

Joshua 7:10

I ran across this verse while doing my lunchtime bible study the other day and it cracked me up. Yes, the bible can be funny! It's not a deep, theological thing that takes years of seminary to understand...

Joshua 7:10 says, "The Lord said to Joshua, "STAND UP! What are you doing down on your face?" (emphasis added by me)

Joshua is in the midst of a crisis - don't know if you've read enough of the bible to know this but it's pretty much a book of people who are in trouble in one way or another... everybody is in crisis. I guess that's where we are now. It's always something. My something may be bigger or smaller than your something in grand scheme of things - but I've got my something and you've got yours and they both impact our lives in one way or another.

And - as you know - I've had some unfun struggles this week. Some I have shared. Some I haven't. I'm way broke, in the hole, behind on a few things, juggling funds, without child support still/again, missed out on some commissions I thought would pay out in this past payday, missed out on sick leave that I thought I had... and I had some discouraging news career-wise.... my kid has been less than cooperative (although I have to say, he did an awesome job cleaning the house yesterday)... I'm frustrated and overwhelmed and I had myself a big OLD pity party earlier in the week before precious friends stepped in and started really interceding on my behalf with the Lord in the prayer and I felt the winds of change. The numbers in my bank account haven't gone up, by my resolve to handle those things has. I feel stronger. Capable of change. Able to continue on this marathon.

But in the midst of my tantrum... God showed me that verse and I laughed through my tears. WHAT ARE YOU DOING DOWN ON YOUR FACE? God can change anything... He can perform miracles in anyone's life but he doesn't want to be a puppeteer. You really have to get up... put one foot in front of the other... keep breathing... keep doing that very thing that you think you cannot possibly do... move forward in faith... trust Him... be willing to get outside of your comfort zone because truly... if you always do what you've always done, you'll always have what you've already got.

I saw a counselor yesterday. Honestly... my first counseling session since I left the hospital nearly 14 months ago. I've had lots of bible study classes. Lots of wonderful and encouraging conversations with friends. Cards. Letters. Emails. Comments. This was the first time I had someone sit down for an hour just to talk about me and how I'm handling this season of change in my life. Her professional opinion is that I'm doing great... I just have to keep moving forward. Quit tripping up on the same road blocks. Believe that I can do the very things that scare me to death.

In other words... get up off my face.
So... my prayer for you today is that you get up off your face and... keep going.
Love, hugs and prayers, y'all!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you saw a counselor yesterday. Yes, God is the Great Counselor, but He does have missionaries to help with the task.

I used to work for an attorney who was basically going through a mid-life crisis. He was in great despair ~ his marriage was shot, his relationship with his children was not good, business was down ~ and I shared with him the very same thing you've posted ~ that the very bad thing he was going through impacted him in the same way that someone else's very bad thing impacts them. I think he thought that he was immune to very bad things because of his supposed "station" in life so when very bad things happened, he thought it was worse for him than for anyone else. And I thought that was a very selfish view for him to take. Your very bad thing is different than my very bad thing, but the impact is very similar.

Don't give in to despair ~ hold your head up. Good attitude is the perfect antidote. Looking forward to breakfast next week.

Ly,
M

Big Mark 243 said...

Sometimes, it is there for us to discover that we are stronger than we think we are.

I like what the other person said about sometimes 'missionairies' being brought into our lives for a purpose in our life. And I think that the conselor is one of those people. Take advantage of them.

Wendy in Oz said...

Well your face is way too pretty to be stuck in the dirt anyway...xxx

stasha said...

thank you aunt heather thats exactly what i needed to hear! I love you and miss you and praying for you!