My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Random Things

Saturday...

I finished off a Starbucks gift card yesterday that brought me MUCH holiday cheer: a pumpkin spice latte, a venti caramel macchiato, an eggnog latte, a morning bun, a greek yogurt with honey and granola, a fruit and cheese platter and a venti iced green tea (not all at the same time). I knew the gifter would appreciate knowing what the gift provided!

Austin and Pop are heading home from the Mountain House today. They have been enjoying a retreat with the young people from Pop's church. Austin has been at the Mountain House for two weeks, one of them unsupervised. He has already built a hoard there in his basement bomb shelter bedroom. I hope he cleaned it out.

My next scheduled trip to the mountains is January 17th - 22nd. We must all pray for snow during that time period... that clears up in time for me to go back home and back to work on the 23rd.

I love my job but I also love my long weekends in the mountains and I can't wait to see it with a white blanket of snow. Hopefully this Winter!

Our plan for today was to see Les Miserables but my brother Bryan is not feeling well. I think he has overdosed on southern suburban culture. It's an overcast sort of gloomy day and I'm beyond content to rest here in my nest with my new heating pad and a warm cozy blanket all day.

Today is also my niece Jamie's birthday. Amanda James Gant was born on this day in 2004. It seems like a minute ago... and yet, I can't imagine our lives without Jamie. She adds so much spark and sparkle!

Sunday

My blogging was interrupted yesterday with Austin and Pop's return from the mountains. Austin wanted a chickfila and I needed to pick up a prescription so I put the computer aside and spent some quality-ish time with my youngest.

My Christmas present from Ryan made it home to me - he had it sent to the mountain house since that was where we were going to be when it was supposed to be delivered - but it didn't make it until Thursday. He sent me an electric blanket - it's the size of a "throw" which is what I always use. I have this thing about the size of my blankets - and the material - and he got it JUST RIGHT. The room where I stay in Riverdale is a converted garage and doesn't have a heat vent. With the door to the kitchen open it stays fairly warm and I very much hate to breathe warm air so this space is perfect for me. I spend most of my time away from work on a heating pad because it's the only thing that comforts my back... and having a warm blanket on top, I should be set for even the coldest days. My room at the mountain house is in the basement - the "whine cellar" - and it's colder there than the rest of the house, although it IS heated. Again - perfect for me because I very much hate to breathe warm air.

Anyways.... I really had a very merry Christmas and was blessed beyond what I deserve! It was wonderful to get a late gift. I should be Jewish, I love getting my presents spread out, a little at a time!

This morning I woke up with a "don't open more than one eye at a time" migraine. I'm sure it's the weather. Thank heavens I now have meds to deal with those kind of painful situations and I am now comfortably numb, between the heating pad and the electric throw, a dog under the blanket on my right, a cat on top of the blanket on my left. Life is good.

My brother Bryan has been feeling pretty rotten so he and mama went to Urgent Care today to have him checked out. He is due to go back to New York tomorrow. We will miss him. All of my brothers are witty, intelligent, well-spoken and enjoyable fellas. I wish we could be together as a family more often. Just like with my sons... I'm proud of them and feel so blessed that they have all found their way in life... stable relationships, good jobs, friends, etc. I'm happy for them and feel at peace about letting them go... but the mother hen in me wants to gather all my little chicks around me and hold them close. Even with my brothers, because with Jim - he and I were best buddies all through our childhood - I cried for days when he left for college - and with Michael, Bryan and David, they were born when I was 7, 10 and 14, so they were my "first babies". I cared for them and mothered them until I had my own babies... starting when David was just 4... anyways... but the little chickies have all flown from the nest and any time they're back, it's a blessing and when they leave, it's bittersweet ... you're happy for their success and yet you're sad that you're not able to be a part of their everyday lives.

I have nothing on the agenda today. We were planning to have lunch out but neither Bryan or myself are feeling well enough to brave the local dining establishments once the church-goers get out and que up. There's a Falcons game at 1pm and I'm a fair-weather fan so since they're doing well this year, better than ever, I'm enjoying watching them. I've got a few documentaries I'd like to watch today and I'm sure there is a nap in my future because of the "migraine banishing" meds. Resting up for my little day of work tomorrow... then, of course, a day off for New Year's and three days of work next week.

Anyways... so that's what's happening here.... peace on Earth, good will to men. Life is good. Love and hugs, y'all!

1 comments:

Adirondackcountrygal said...

An overdose of southern suburban culture. Haha! I can only imagine what that means! You sound like you are doing good. I have been freezing in my room. Mostly my legs when I sit at the computer desk. Someone needs to get up under my redneck home on wheels and fix the duct work like he promised! Lazy SOB!