My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

My Wednesday and Toms River, NJ

Lately it seems like time is flying by. I think someone bumped my hourglass and the sand is going through WAY faster than it's supposed to.

I needed to run a few errands in town this morning so I dragged my body out of bed and out of the door before I had time to think about what I was doing. An hour and ten minutes later I was back in the nest but the damage was already done. I'm having considerably more back pain today. It just really hurts, y'all. I don't know if I've done something to damage it further or if the degenerative aspect is at work or if it's atmospheric or whatever. I just know it hurts more.

Our sweet girls were here for just a few minutes today. Long enough for one episode of My Little Pony and a double hot chocolate. Jamie is highly allergic to dogs and cats and she is DYING to pet the cats down here. She said something that broke my heart. She said, "Aunt Heather, you just don't know what it's like to love animals so much and not be able to pet them!" She thinks she may be growing out of it. I don't know. I let her pet Stubby because he has shorter hair and gives the best and loudest pay-off in a purr so loud you think it's a machine. She told me of all the different dogs she had been able to pet lately without getting sick and she said that she's here all the time without getting sick. I didn't mention that my mom vacuums before she comes over or that almost every time she's here we spend at least part of the time outside. I pray she grows out of her allergies and will one day be able to love on some fur babies. And I love that it matters to her.

Yesterday in my genealogy research, I discovered that the Tom from Toms River, NJ is my 8x great-grandfather. It seems like the best stories of my ancestors all route through New Jersey. If I could afford it (and could physically stand it) I would love to take a road trip that connects the dots of my old ancestors' stompin' grounds. That would put me spending a lot of time on the Jersey Shore. Anyways... a little info on Ole' Tom... and his descendants leading to me:

Much of the early history of the village of Toms River is obscured by conflicting stories. Various sources list the eponym of the town as either English captain William Toms, farmer and ferryman Thomas Luker, or a Native American named Tom. In 1992, as part of celebrations commemorating the township's 225th anniversary, official recognition was granted to the tradition that the "Tom" in "Toms River" was for Thomas Luker, who ran a ferry across Goose Creek (now the Toms River).[46] During the 19th century, Toms River became a center for shipbuilding, whaling, fishing, and iron and lumber production. The settlement andthe river were usually spelled "Tom's River" in its early days, though its current spelling has been standard since the middle of the 19th century.

It was over 300 years ago that the Luker blood line mixed with the american indian. It was from the marriage of Thomas Luker and Princess Ann and the birth Of a baby boy named Daniel Luker that the blood of two nations became as one for thousands of future descendants.

Ol' Tom wrote these words for the poem of life.

The brothers three soared o'er the sea.
on the back of a big blackbird.
One wed Roose, they ate goose.
The blackbird had no legs to run
But across it's breast was carved A Falcon
Tom Luker was recognized as Tom River [ an indian name to the Unami]
They loved old Tom and gave me my home on the river bend.
I like it here and here i'll stay until the very end.
Puma means "White Friend" so the indian claim
I've been called "Tom Puma" so many times
I'm beginning to think it's my name
Luker means river in indian tongue
And along this river my new life begun.
This little shire may never know fame
But at this time, it bears my name.

And so it was that Goose Creak became known as Tom's River. Tom was given land by Ann's father.

Four years after the birth of Daniel [1701]. Tom built and ran a ferry.
After Tom's death the land and ferry was given to Daniel who continued to run ferry.


Thomas Luker (1670 - 1701)
is your 8th great grandfather
son of Thomas Luker
son of Daniel Luker
son of Thomas Luker
son of Thomas Jr. Luker
daughter of James Luker
daughter of Eleanor B Luker
daughter of Sarah H Donahay
son of Clara H Shafto
son of Bruce Bronson Gant Sr
You are the daughter of James Edward Gant Sr 


And that's the story! Happy Wednesday, y'all! Love and hugs!

2 comments:

monique said...

Hope you are OK.
m~

Lisa said...

Thomas Luker, namesake of Tom's River, is my ?X grandfather too! I would also like to visit this part of New Jersey. Let me know if you go and what you find! Hope you are doing better.
.