My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Monday, August 15, 2011

seeing beyond circumstances... Reasons to Love Monday

Sometimes I wake up and feel like there are so many broken hearts and broken lives in the world... I wish I could just go sit beside a quiet stream and talk to God... surely He can heal them? Surely He can help them? Sometimes I wish I could go to each and every person and hug them and let them know that they aren't alone.


It's like knowing a secret... and feeling a responsibility to share what I can. I guess that's the whole Evangelical perspective. I think sometimes I gloss over or fail to absorb the thought that many - so many - will suffer - at least according to what I believe - after their life is over. I can't see that far. But I can see the people who are suffering now and I want them to know peace that passes understanding. I want them to be able to see God's hand in their life, even when things seem so dark and desperate.

That's the short sightedness of suffering... we see the pain that is present now and don't understand the healing that it's bringing in the long run. We don't understand how our light and momentary troubles - even those that go on for years, in the scope of eternity are really light and momentary - they're bringing about a result that is far better than what we could have imagined.

Sometimes I feel like I need to list the circumstances in my life that seemed like tragedy but worked out for glory... but I'll just focus on the most recent and that's going to be our Reasons to Love Monday... who can say that having their house catch on fire is a GOOD thing? I don't know that I can... but I can say it was a GOD thing...

1. We have a place that's cheaper, making my budget easier to deal with, easier to balance.
2. We got away from people that were a negative influence on austin
3. We moved into a real community, people who care about each other and help each other
4. We were able to (with the help of insurance) get Austin a better bed, a better tv, the game system he really wanted...
5. All our stuff was cleaned and moved FOR US, something I could never have arranged or afforded.
6. Austin ended up with a longer bus ride but an awesome bus driver who I know and trust. That way he can't complain (as he frequently would) that his bus driver didn't like him. I know that Vanessa LOVES Austin and that her intentions are for his good.
7. There are no kids knocking on my door in the middle of the night, no way for Austin to sneak out to hang out with friends I don't approve of. No way he can walk to town from here. There is Mama Ellen looking down from her perch (porch) who is not hesitant to call Austin out on any errant behavior. There is James next door for him to chat with... and Alex next door who adores and idolizes Austin.
8. Our view is beautiful and relaxing. My commute takes me right toward the mountains in the afternoon. "I lift my eyes unto the hills, where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the maker of Heaven and earth"... I feel so much peace, knowing that HE set the mountains in place and that same power is the force that holds my life together.
9. My room - my nest - is much bigger and brighter and less cave like.
10. We have been so blessed by people who sent encouragement, financial blessings, little gifts, prepared meals, hauled away trash, hung shelves, took care of my kid and my cats... I know a love that I never would have known existed in my life had there never been a fire.
11. When pressed for an answer in the midst of trial, I said, "God has a plan"... my little niece Jamie heard that and REPEATED that later to her dad and then got to see God bring that to pass. Even if no other blessings came thru this situation, knowing that HER faith was strengthened at six years old because she saw God at work in my life... that gives me chills. Live your faith out loud. People are watching.
12. I almost forgot about our awesome cabin staycation that came because of the fire!

Time for me to wrap this up and post. I hope whatever trial you're facing right now, that you can boldly state, "God has a plan" and boldly move forward with expectation... watching not for the things that serve to frustrate, discourage and depress you, but instead LOOK for blessings, list the good that comes through your heartache. Even when you can't change your circumstances, you can change your response to them.

Please pray for my childhood friend Susan who lost her husband yesterday. He was in his mid-forties and although he had some health problems - high blood pressure and diabetes - his loss was totally unexpected.

Please remember my friend Jennifer whose Aunt Pat disappeared a few weeks ago. She just... disappeared. Pray for their family, for strength as this time of not knowing drags on.

I have a good friend who is building a brand new life for herself and her kids and the road gets lonely at times. Pray for her comfort, that she will not feel lonely. Actually, I have two friends that are in that situation. Maybe more.

Pray for my strength this week... I've worked 3 weeks straight without a break (i think?) and my body is not bouncing back. I'm in a good bit of pain this morning and the week stretches before me, long and overwhelming with lots of extra responsibility tossed in, lots of things I need to do and I just feel drained. Pray that I find strength beyond my own.

I pray for all of you, that you would be encouraged and hopeful and that God's blessings will be poured out on you, regardless of circumstance and that you will see Him now... and know Him so that you we can spend eternity together!
Love and hugs, y'all!





2 comments:

Unknown said...

I needed to hear this this morning....could you say a prayer for us? rough time right now with the 19 yo

Heather said...

DEFINITELY Becky!