My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Sunday, August 21, 2011

what's on your label?

My cute kid...

If you haven't read yesterday's comments, you should. I so dearly love an intelligent counterpoint. Though our politics have always been vastly different, I have found that I could learn so much from Mr. Drake... as he has always listened to and respected my point of view. I would hold our friendship up as an example of what we need in America. He makes it easier to see things from a different vantage point.

Or, as we say around here: you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. He has never changed my mind but he has, on many occasions, made me dig deeper into my heart, soul and psyche to gain a better grasp on what I believe.

I agree that we need to have more than one source for information. Every morning I watch an hour of the local news, an hour of Fox and Friends and an hour of the Today show. During the day I check Fox News, CNN and the Drudge Report. I also consult my Higher Power asking for wisdom and discernment.

There are precious few people in my life with whom I really discuss politics because it is such a deeply personal thing. There are a lot of issues that I intentionally avoid... those that I'm on the fence over, those that I'm not as well informed as I would want to be, those that would be hurtful to people I care about if I made a bold statement one way or another. There's so much I don't know, so much I'm uninformed about, so many questions I can't answer for myself that I wouldn't dare try to answer for anyone else.

The undeniable truth is that our country is broken... our world is broken... there is more human suffering out there than I can begin to wrap my mind around. We are deeply divided as a human race and as a nation. And no matter who we elect, there is only one answer, one solution that I believe is guaranteed to work: Jesus. "In this world you will have trouble but take heart, I HAVE overcome the world" (paraphrased by Heather) When people don't like the answer to the question, they keep searching for another answer... and so we end up where we are today... with lots of seekers and very few people who know true peace.

Austin shared with me that someone in our community labeled our friend and youth pastor (who is also Austin's mentor through the Catalyst class) as a "Jesus Freak"... Austin was offended that someone would call Jamie that... I was impressed! What an impact to have on your community, to be so outspoken for the cause of Christ that you're called a Jesus Freak! The truth is that more people need to speak up for what they believe in without fear - or without caring - what label it causes them to receive. We need to be willing to be labeled.

My prayer is that if I were accused of being a follower of Christ that there would be enough evidence to convict me.

My prayer is that when I reach of crossroads that calls for a courageous answer, that I would be meek but not weak.

My prayer is that I would be respectable and respectful.

My prayer is that I extend the same kind of love toward others of all different codes and creeds and lifestyles and politics that Jesus showed when He walked the earth. May I be allowed to see them through the eyes of Jesus, through the compassion of Christ.

My prayer is to live my live in such a way that if anyone says anything bad about me, nobody else would believe it.

My prayer is that I would not be ashamed of the Gospel of Christ. I may not understand it all... I may not be able to speak with authority on all theological points but no matter what evidence for or against it, it is life to me.

My faith sustains me. My church supports me. My God has never left me, no matter what I have done.

And like I always say... if I get to the end of my life and find there is nothing more, I will still have had a better life for having believed.

0 comments: