My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Friday, August 10, 2012

The Bulloch Family of Buena Vista, Georgia (part one)

Not a lot of time left before I leave for work. My normal hours will be 11:30-4:30, four days a week. They will try to structure it so that I have one long weekend a month to go to the mountains and I'm perfectly happy with that. The philosophy and work environment at this new agency could not be a better fit for me - well, it could if it were in the mountains, but I know that God has placed me here for a season, for so  many reasons - ones that are apparent to me and I'm sure, many others that aren't. I am enjoying a relationship with my parents while we're all still in the prime of life. Many children move back in with their parents or vice versa when there's been a health crisis or decline that creates a caretaker/dependent relationship. We all have our little issues but for the most part, we're healthy enough to work and keep a home and I'm so glad to have this time to share with them.

I wanted to share this bit of history that Grandma gave me while I was with her last month. I have kept the little piece of paper front and foremost in my stack of stuff but I'm afraid it will be lost before I make good use of it so I wanted to transcribe it here for a longer lasting record. You may find it interesting as well.  Have a great Friday and a great weekend y'all!

The Bullock/Bulloch Family of Buena Vista, Georgia and a Glimpse Into the Life of Charles Pelham Ward Family
(written by my grandmother, Leta Mae Ward Gant Harris)

We are descendants of the Bullocks from Buena Vista, Georgia (Marion County) - a small town located in the southwestern area of the state, about 25 miles from Columbus which is 109 miles south of Atlanta.

Our ancestors settled there, presumably having immigrated from England, as told to me by my mother, Sarah  Jane Bullock Baldwin Ward. There were two brothers who came to the United States. One settled in Virginia (we have no location there nor name) and Hardeman (Hardie) came to Georgia.

Cordy Bullock was Hardie's son. He was a merchant, farmer and stockdealer. Cordy was killed in his own store by Carpetbaggers. (Carpetbaggers were Northern civilians active in political, economic and educational life in the South during Reconstruction - 1865-1878 Many were fortune hunters and power seekers. )

Cordy was married to Jane Richardson Combs. They were the parents of George W., James E. and Osborne Cordy Bullock.

Our Grandfather was George W. Bullock. Estelle Mae Maddox became his wife. George was a "jack of all trades" - politician, worked for the post office, farmed, had a wagon train, taking orders for supplies. He provided well for his family, loved to fish and attend the circus.

George and Estelle had six children: five lived to a full age: Eva Mae, Sarah Jane, Lillian, William David and Kate Lou. 

Grandfather died rather young. His brother Jimmy, died during war. Uncle Osborne Cordy became a millionaire through business ventures. President of the Farmers & Merchants Bank at Columbus, Georgia. He also operated a hardware store. Uncle Oz, as he was called, handled Grandmother's business affairs after Grandfather George Bullock died. 

Aunt Mae, mother (Sarah Jane) and perhaps Aunt Lillian ("Nunnie") were school teachers. Mother taught in Americus, Georgia and surrounding areas. Uncle David was employed by the Post Office in Buena Vista. I do not know about Aunt Kate's working career, she was the youngest child. 

Mother married R. P. Baldwin, a prominent Columbus, Georgia resident. He was Editor of the Columbus newspaper at that time. Robert died with Brites Disease after sixteen months of marriage. There were no children by this marriage. Robert bequeathed mother two farms in the Opelika, Alabama area. It is my understanding that Mother Baldwin and our mother were devoted to each other.

Mother met daddy, Dr. Charles Pelham Ward, through a patient of his, Mrs. Lola Honiker. Daddy's first wife, Leta Virginia, died while birthing a child. She and the child both died. Leta Virginia and Charles Pelham had two children: Charles Parmalee, about five and Cyntha Martha, close to 3 1/2 years of age when Charles Pelham married Sarah Jane. 

Charles and Sarah lived at 1208 North Avenue in Northeast Atlanta. When I was six weeks old they bought 1001 Oakdale Road. It was a beautiful big house made of white clapboard, with green shutters and a rust tile roof. There was a screened in porch on one side of the house. The house was located on about an acre of land in the Druid Hills section of Atlanta. Daddy and brother planted apple, pecan and cherry trees. There were grapes, scuppernongs and muscadine vines over hanging either a fence or an arbor. There was a barn way back in the yard where Bill Pony, an Indian Pony, the cow and chickens and pigs were housed. Bill Pony belonged to "Sis" (Cynthia). When Jane, Bette and I were small, Sis used to hitch Bill Pony to a cart, taking us for jaunts around the neighborhood. 

There were fig bushes, rose bushes, lilacs, peonies, iris, forsythia, wisteria, tulips, daffodils, jonquils, narcissi... all kinds of beautiful plants, flowers, shrubs - january jasmine, spirea, butterfly bushes, etc. Each year we planted a vegetable garden. 

The garage had  servants quarters. Later it was renovated into an apartment. Many interesting people came to live there. 

During my childhood I vaguely remember Grandmother Estelle Mae Maddox Bullock. I can, however, see a tiny woman in a back dress. She must have been in her eighties. She was visiting our family on Oakdale Road. Shortly thereafter she died - must have been around 1930.

As a family we visited Buena Vista where Uncle David and Aunt Relia resided with their children: David Jr., George and Frank. Aunt Hattie Maddox lived there also . She was employed by the Post Office. 

We had many fun times, visiting Aunt Relia and Uncle David, Aunt Hattie, Barbara, Bette and I helped Aunt Relia shell peas one summer. For a reward she made each of us a pretty dress with a white collar. Mine was blue... Bette and Barbara's, pink.

Since Aunt Hattie worked during the day we would spend nights and weekends with her. She had a big scuppernong arbor in the back yard and fig bushes. Many times Mother was with us. Aunt Hattie loved to talk, knew lots of town gossip. Cousin Hattie had jet black hair from the day I knew her 'til the Lord called her home. She was quite a lady!

(to be continued....)

0 comments: