My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Saturday, February 15, 2014

Lazy Saturday

Eddie Cat soaking up some rays
Eddie Cat has the right idea... soak up all the sunshine you can!

Last night... without any pharmaceutical assistance... I went to sleep around 10pm! It was glorious! Even though that had me wide awake at 5am, I was totally fist-pumping when I woke up this morning. Success feels so good!

Some of the other pharmaceuticals I've been trying to wean myself off of... not working as well. You win some, you lose some.

I boarded the Pain Train early this morning but it's still been a day worth living. You have to think about these things when you aren't really contributing to society. I knew my value as a mom. I don't quite know what my purpose is as a single empty-nested less-abled person some times but I do think it's important to find joy every day.

Joy today came in the form of Olympic Hockey at 7am. I will admit, however, to being enough of a fair weather fan that I turned off the tv in the OT shoot off round thinking that Russia had clinched it. I apparently didn't quite understand the process because I thought we were done and turned the channel to a documentary about Annie Oakley (which was very good, by the way). Later this afternoon I realized we had won and felt like a big doofus for changing the channel. They play again tomorrow around the same time. I usually start my Sundays watching back-to-back-to-back episodes of Mad Men but tomorrow it's gonna be USA vs. Slovenia (I think). And then it's the Ice Dancing short program. Olympics in the morning... PBS in the afternoon. Living on the edge around here!

My oldest, Ryan, in the snow in PA
Other than watching hockey... today I took down my Christmas/Valentines decorations. I could have stretched it to Easter but I was ready for a change of scenery. I'm ready for warmer (not hot) weather and for things to begin blooming. I thought putting away any vestiges of Winter might move the process along. And it made me happy.

I did not go to the library or shopping for half price chocolate today because I needed pharmaceutical assistance with pain and with clearing the junk out of my lungs this morning. The side effects of the pharmaceuticals were not conducive to driving. I think using the word "pharmaceuticals" sounds so much better than "drugs" , don't you think? My mom always says she's going to take her "medicine". I always think of medicine as being something like antibiotics that you take to get over something or cough medicine or allergy medicine. I have a hard time thinking of pain medicine as medicine but that's what it is. It improves your quality of life. Hopefully.

Austin's girlfriend and her daughter came over this afternoon to hang out with us. Baby girl is six months old and scared of Austin. I held her for a few minutes while Mommy ran to the car to get some things and she had a little separation anxiety but was only whimpering. When she saw Austin she had a complete meltdown. This is tricky for me because I don't want to get attached when - honestly - I can't see this being a lifelong relationship - but I do want to be supportive of the young mom and make sure she feels welcome to bring baby around, even if she's crying. The whole concept of "babies sometimes cry for no good reason" is a difficult lesson for Austin. He's a bit stressed. I just consider it birth control. Baby girl is adorable, though. She really brightens up the place, even when she's crying.

I've been ready to doze off all day. I took mucinex (or the Walmart equivalent) this morning and it really helps clear the congestion in my chest but it does make me a  little foggy.

On Antiques Roadshow they just showed a lady with two Tiffany vases worth $13,000 that she bought at a yard sale. I know if I saw one of my former possessions that I sold for a couple of bucks on the Roadshow I would be so bummed!

I didn't get out to take scenic photos from around here so I snagged one from my friend Tami's Facebook. It's quite lovely here, it really is.


Hope you're making the most of your weekend! Love and hugs, y'all!

0 comments: