My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

PJ Wednesday

Sorry I didn't blog yesterday. I went to the library and picked up some new books. I got caught up in reading a history of Northeast Georgia and couldn't put it down long enough to blog. I'm a bookworm like that. I also checked out Following Civil War Photographers, Blizzard! The Great Storm of 88, Edward Windsor- Royal Enigma (obviously a biography on Prince Edward) and Dam Break In Georgia, a book about the Toccoa Falls dam break.

I picked up the book about the dam break because I remember being read that book in Fifth Grade Sunday School at First Baptist Church of Red Oak by Scrap Wheeler. Scrap was an old football coach and a great man of God. He was the person who introduced me to the Super Bowl - the year that the Dallas Cowboys and the Pittsburgh Steelers were playing he talked about it in Sunday School. He also used to say that the Bible is a book about baseball because it starts out with "In the big inning". His wife took me to get my ears pierced when I was nine at Merle Norman's in the Riverdale Plaza. It's funny how these sort of memories come to you from just seeing the title of a book. It's also a great reminder to me to be a positive influence on my nieces because kids DO remember the things you teach them in childhood. In my opinion, they remember a lot more of what you teach them in childhood than they remember of what you teach them as teenagers because children are eager to listen and aren't yet rebellious, usually.

I'm also still reading the book on the history of Saturday Night Live. I haven't finished 12 Years A Slave and I'm still reading Beth Moore's To Live Is Christ for my Bible Study time. Slowly I'm moving from screen time to page time and I think it's been good for me.

I went into town yesterday to pick up an application package for the local free clinic. They were super nice, it was very clean and organized and they even had free things set out for people. I picked up a 200 count bottle of Advil, some face cleanser and lip balm all for free! They also had shaving cream, sunscreen... things you would find in a drug store. It seems like a great program and I am very hopeful that I will be able to be accepted into the program. I have an appointment next Wednesday to see if I qualify. You have no idea what a blessing this would be for me. It's hard knowing that there is stuff wrong that really needs to be checked out (like the evil gut pain) but you can't afford it. It's not a matter of choice, it's a matter of limitation. In a way I'm glad my blood pressure shot up so high on Sunday because it prompted me to fight harder for what I need. It's was a good kick in the pants.

I also talked to a new attorney for my disability case yesterday. I have been without representation for the past three months, ever since the big disability group I was using decided they didn't want to represent me. They didn't feel like my case had the medical records to back up my claim. Since then I've had the function capacity evaluation and my pain doctor is supposed to have documented some things in my file that were not in there. I put off contacting the lawyer for this long because honestly, I just couldn't deal with it. It's very overwhelming and exhausting to go through all the nitty gritty of what's wrong with me with a new attorney. This is one that is local and frequently works with my doctor so I know there will be good lines of communication between them. My case likely will not go before a judge until close to the end of this year at the earliest so I knew I had time to take a breather from the situation and so that's what I did. There's a method to my procrastination sometimes.

Yesterday was a day of checking things off the to do list and I felt a weight lift off my shoulders. Next week will be busy with a visit to the pain doctor on Monday, the interview at the free clinic on Wednesday and an appointment with the lawyer on Thursday.

I didn't sleep well last night - revenge of the chili - and so today is going to be one of those days that I'm sort of sleepwalking through. I got a shower this morning and put on clean pjs but I'm staying in pjs. My nieces will be here after school but otherwise it's going to just be a quiet day watching figure skating and hockey... soaking up as much Winter Olympics as I can. Saving my strength for next week.

I got a card in the mail yesterday from Yakima, Washington and one today from Carrollton, Georgia - both people that I only know from blogging. It's a good reminder that you guys are out there and you really care what happens to me and I promise that I don't take that for granted. There are about a half dozen ladies that I bonded with nine years ago when I was using AOL Journals to blog - we called it "J-land" - and I am still in touch with those ladies on a weekly, if not daily basis. Even though some say that blogging is on the way out, I still see it as an excellent way to stay connected with the world outside of my nest. Whenever I hear from you guys it really means a lot to me, more than you know. Thanks for the love, y'all! Happy Wednesday!

0 comments: