My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Thursday, September 23, 2010

random quarantine observations

It's sad but true... I do have strep throat. I'm quarantined for the next 24 hours. I got a shot of some thick milky stuff. It feels like I've been poisoned. I also got my flu shot... figured I might as well.
Oy vey. My rear hurts.
I refuse to watch Channel 11 news in Atlanta any more until they get rid of their "Wizometer" weather meter. It's just stupid.
How many pair of jeans do you own? How many of them fit you? I'm watching Hoda and Kathie Lee.
Is it just me or does it seem like Kathie Lee is just a little too interested in wine?
I bought two pounds of wheatberries yesterday. I am cooking them now. They're awesome in salads but take a long time to cook... 4 hours in the crockpot. Still... great value, versatile, good source of fiber and protein, very filling... and are $1.94 a pound. I'm thinking they will be good in soup too.
I'm really relieved that I went to the doctor. I was putting it off... hoping to avoid it. Hoping it was just an allergy thing... but the doctor could tell just by my lymph nodes that things weren't right.
Here's the thing about me and strep... I've never done it normal. I've never run a fever with it. Fever... the big clue for normal folks... evades me.
Great news, though, my blood pressure was awesome. No meds! It feels so empowering to be able to control health issues with diet instead of drugs. I know that isn't the case for every disease or disorder but I'm grateful that mine were controllable by diet.
Cept for the need of antibiotics. And trust me, I debated with the doctor. I explained my feelings about pharmaceuticals and the over use of antibiotics and the unnecessary use of antibiotics. However... ultimately... strep is nothing to fool with... and he couldn't clear me to return to work until I either tested negative for strep or had been on antibiotics for 24 hours.
I knew I was sick "for reals" when I lost my appetite. I have learned to control my appetite and make wiser choices about what I eat but trust me, girlfriend still loves to eat.
I am so glad, though, that I prepare my food ahead of time. Makes it much easier for grab and go when you don't feel like eating and might otherwise gravitate toward drive thru.
In case you're wondering... breakfast (which I'm just now having) is the wheatberry and roasted beet salad topped with cinnamon/cranberry flavored goat cheese... and red grapes.
I have planned soup for lunch and then for dinner I'm planning a brown rice/pepper stir fry juiced up with lots of fresh garlic since garlic has antibiotic properties. The peppers and onions for the stir fry are already cut and ready to go. Will do the garlic just before I cook it. Wish I had a little fresh ginger to grate in it... but I'm following doctors orders and not exposing people.
My top ten pet peeves:

  1. Haircolor that could not occur naturally (like 85 year old women with flaming red hair, blonde african american women, etc)
  2. Poor spelling- especially misuse of their, they're and there
  3. monochromatic meals (like chicken tenders and french fries... it's all brown!)
  4. Joy Behar
  5. Children with roller skates on their shoes in public places.
  6. Lawyer commericals
  7. Pharmaceutical commercials.
  8. The "I didn't know I was pregnant" tv series. Give me a break.
  9. Religious leaders who get involved in sexual impropriety. Don't give Christianity a bad name.
  10. (forgive me, I know some of you have this in your family but it bothers me) People with last names for first names (Cooper, Smith, Jackson, etc).
I'm so excited about fall tv... I was getting tired of watching Fox News nonstop. I simply cannot wait until the new episode of The Office.
At least my sore throat is forcing me to get my water in... I've finish a full chickfila cup already.
Losing weight has meant that my very favorite pj pants fit again... and fit the way pj pants are supposed to - slightly baggy.
I put on makeup before i went to the doctor - because I was sooooo sure that I was going to get an all clear and be sent on my way - so I am looking really cute in my quarantine clothes. Isn't there a hot single UPS guy who needs to deliver something to my door? No?

I'm sure I'll be back... boredom is setting in and I'm rarely ever bored.

1 comments:

JennBand08 said...

Aww.. sorry to hear about the strep. I'm surprised they gave you a flu shot when you were already ill though.. kinna rough on the immune system! I do hope you feel better though.. and soon.