My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Ice, Deer and Dogs in Clothes

Wake up time: 7:30. I woke up and glanced out the window and realized that the lake had little ice islands floating on it. I stepped outside to take a few pictures and realized there was a sweet little family of deer hanging out in the yard by the garden. Not sure if they were reliving some happy memories of homegrown tomatoes or if they were waiting for us to set up the buffet... it was too far for my flash to work and not really bright out yet but you can make out a few deer-like shapes I think.  They look like deer ghosts, almost. 

There was not only ice on the lake, there was also ice on the fountain. Austin tested it to see if it would support his weight (spoiler alert: it did). I wasn't outside for that little risky experiment so I don't have a photo of it. The good news is that he was at least wearing flipflops while standing on the frozen fountain so if it hadn't supported him he wouldn't have ruined good shoes. The bad news is that he did NOT have shoes on when Oscar took off into the woods. Yep. My hobo of an offspring running around the forest in below freezing weather barefooted. 







How I'm feeling: Back hurts. Head hurts. I'm at least three dwarfs. (sneezy, sleepy, grumpy). Hip hurts. Not fun being me today.

How's the weather?  The weather has warmed up a bit. We'll still be under freezing tonight but then we're going to have a few mild days so I may be able to eliminate the space heater in the bathroom. Our bathroom is so cold!  The space heater works great though. I took a nice hot shower this morning and the bathroom was toasty warm afterwards. Warm enough for me to put lotion on my ashy feet. Seriously, my feet are so dry that they looked like they were dipped in soap flakes. TMI?  

What I wore today: It was realizing that I had worn the same outfit for two days that sent me running for the shower this morning. I went with the grey maxi skirt again (get used to it, this is going to be a frequent flyer in my wardrobe. I need to buy one in every color.) with leggings underneath and a long sleeve purple shirt with my black hooded sweatshirt. The black sweatshirt is tshirt material, not fleece. I wore it all Summer over dresses.  

Hairstyle of the day: clean and mostly straight as the humidity is super low.

Makeup: still no. I'm not sure if this falls in the category "letting myself go" or if it's considered being frugal with my makeup. Either way, I didn't bother again today. 

What I watched today: the movie All Mine To Give from 1957.  It's based on a true story from the mid 1800's. A brother finds homes for his siblings after their parents die. It's very sappy and sweet and it was much better than watching The View or Bethanny. I swear, daytime tv is mind numbing. At least Grey's Anatomy was on this afternoon. Tonight I'm watching The Middle and Modern Family and probably something on PBS. If I had money I would definitely donate to PBS. 

What I'm reading: Beth Moore's book, "To Live Is Christ" about the Apostle Paul. It's really good and it's free right now. You can download it to your Kindle or Nook and I think there's even a way to just download it to your computer if you don't have one of those handy dandy devices. I think that special deal is good through tomorrow or the next day. Beth Moore books for free! Don't miss out! 

What I ate today: breakfast was grits with fried eggs, lunch was a peanut butter and banana sandwich, dinner was the last of the stuffed shells. 
Oscar finally wore a coat. This dog hates clothes so he must have been cold. 

What I drank today: the tea of the day was ... I forgot. What I do is make a big mug of hot tea in the morning and just add water to it during the day. I use two teabags and keep them in all day and I know that's totally the wrong way to do it but it works for me. Sweetened with honey, just once. By the end of the day it's kind of weak but I like it. 

Where I went today: I chased Lily when she chased Rosalita the stray cat out of the yard and then I walked Lily up to the main floor.  

What I did today:  I worked on ancestry.com some. I took a shower and straightened my hair. I watched the aforementioned movie and other stuff on tv. I read my Beth Moore book. Nothing interesting or exciting or very different from what I normally do. 

Visitors to the Hollow:  the aforementioned deer

Goals for the week/on the wish list:  still have to go into town to pick up a prescription. that's for tomorrow. 

Thought for the day:  Fear does not stop death. It stops life. 

1 comments:

monique said...

That's a great thought for the day.
You have a good sense of comfortable style. I can relate. If I'm not comfortable then I'm not wearing it. :)
You should have a scarf for the colder days. It's amazing how much difference keeping your neck warm helps. Trust me.
Nice pics of the icy lake and the deer.
Sleep well,
m~