My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Thursday, April 30, 2009

thankful thursday

I'm told that I have to take my birthday decorations down in my office today. Really? Why? I never want to let birthdays go…

It was a great birthday this year, despite having this icky cold. Last night it felt like I had been swallowing broken glass. I have that thing where you feel sort of sleepy/dizzy/out of body… runny nose… cough… but no, Jeanne, no fever. I don't think I'm a risk to public health at this point.

I got some great birthday surprises - roses from Ryan, dinner and a cake from Cody and Marquee, flowers from my friend Mary in Alabama, cupcakes and a gift bag of bath and body works stuff from my co-workers, a cake and flowers from one of our vendors, a Willow Tree figurine from my nieces…

Jim and Angie are fixing my laptop as my birthday gift! It should be ready on Monday… they had to get some parts in for it… but that's such a great gift for me! I miss my friends who live in my computer! I was looking at being without it for *at least* several more weeks OR not paying something I need to pay to be able to have it back. I'm so excited that it's being fixed.

I really, really, really just wanted to curl up in the bed yesterday - this time not from sadness but just because I feel horrible. I soldiered on… *pause to straighten my halo*… and went to church last night. It was worth it to be greeted by Abbie with her "Happy Birthday 41 year old!"… and Jamie and Sarabeth and even little Eli bouncing around with excitement over my birthday - or whatever they were excited about. Another lady in our church was celebrating her 40th yesterday… and my friend Michelle's little girl, Emma, was celebrating her ninth. (Emma is Eli's sister). The fellowship hall was decked out for Sherri's 40th and they sang to her… and then to Emma… and then to me… which was really sweet.

Austin's report card came in the mail yesterday. He was excited to have a "c" average. *eyeroll* But of course, those of you who have been with me for awhile will remember the end of Cody's 9th grade year - about three weeks before the school year ended we found out he was failing pretty much every subject and he had to scamper and scurry and I had to beg and plead for him to just pass. Not that he's not a bright kid. He was just mega-lazy. With Austin's study skills class and tutoring once a week he is pretty much unable to have uncompleted assignments. Austin tries to be lazy but it just doesn't work out for him.

Today is pay day. I got a small raise. My salary will still be heavily dependant on commissions. We haven't gotten the final word on the commission increase yet and I was hoping for that for this pay period. Times are still hard. I'm glad for every little bit, of course. Somehow it keeps working… I've had some stressful moments… my budget strategy has been "putting out fires"… but I'm hanging in there.

Austin wants to get a summer job and I appreciate his enthusiasm but the logistics of him working make me dizzy. He REALLY wants to work in this little toy shop in Helen. It's in the heart of the tourist area and they sell lots of cutesy little gimmicky things, magic tricks, novelty toys. He would REALLY be a good salesperson for this shop because he's so enthusiastic about the stuff they have. I'm not sure he has the people skills to work with the general public… especially the vacationing public (certainly a different perspective, wouldn't you say?) and the store is waaaay out of the way for me in the mornings/afternoons but… if he can get a job, I'll do what I can to make it work for us. He definitely needs the experience…

Our little office is limping along today. Shirley is out taking her mom and other elderly relatives to doctors appointments. Theresa didn't sleep last night so she's a zombie. Ginger has some major back pain. I've got this creeping crud. Duane is leaving at noon to go camping for the weekend. Kevin said we could all leave and he'd handle it. *eyeroll* Riiiiight!

Ok… thankful Thursday items for this week:
1. that my laptop is getting fixed
2. surviving my turbulent 40th year
3. flowers! Birthday cakes! Birthday presents! Birthday dinners!
4. "c" averages
5. tissues
6. my new white tea and ginger body lotion from bath and body works - it smells great!
7. my new office, my raise, possible increased bonus and all those things that bit by bit make my work life easier
8. Sammy the dog - Cody and Marquee's sweet little puppy
9. Stubby the 3legged cat - who had a great time playing with Sammy the dog Tuesday night. Well. Reverse that. Sammy had a great time doing what he THOUGHT was playing… Stubby was in attack cat mode, defending his territory. Stubby has learned to look forward to my morning bowl of cereal and has learned that if he waits patiently, that I will put the bowl down on the floor for him to have a little milk once I'm finished. This is a huge accomplishment. In the past his nosy little three legged self was trying to battle me for my breakfast. He finally has figured out that there's a much bigger payoff if he will wait.
I'm including, without permission, the devotion that my dad wrote yesterday. I didn't see it until today because - no email at home yet. Tissue alert! I'll close with this… love and hugs and happy Thursday!

04/29/2009

Good Morning!

I had just gotten in bed about eleven o’clock on 04/28 and nestled down when Norma told me that it was time. I immediately told her she had to wait a week because my vacation wasn’t scheduled to start until the next Monday. She informed me that babies don’t wait on vacation schedules – and we were headed to Dekalb General Hospital right away. At 2:09 a.m. the next morning, Heather Nancine Gant came into this world – and both Mom and Dad were thrilled. Jim Jr. slept through it, under the watchful eye of Grandma Ward.

I was counting earlier – we have a lot of birthdays to celebrate in the Gant family. There are the five children; three spouses, one significant other, eleven (soon to be twelve) grandchildren and one great-grandchild. And that’s not counting my Mother, brother, sister and the other in-laws and outlaws.

God is so good to all of us. For me, Heather’s birthday is very special this year. In late September, it looked like we might not be able to celebrate it with her again. The call came on Friday evening – about 5:30. Mom and I held each other as we contemplated the unthinkable – that one of our precious ones might die. And ALL of our children and grandchildren are precious to us – each one. I cannot explain the pleasure I get with a “chew on you” or a “lady finger” snack with one of my grandchildren.

I cannot tell you how long the drive is from Atlanta to Jacksonville – it seemed like forever. And the whole weekend was difficult as we made the daily trip to the hospital. We had to return to Georgia before she was released – but God blessed Heather with brothers who step up to the plate when it is time. And He blessed her with two good close friends who came to her aid in a difficult situation. And now she is back in Georgia and thriving (according to her own accounts on her blog). I think - no, I know God has a lot to do with where she is today as opposed to where she was at this time last year. And I know she reads our Good Morning messages each day - and will probably be objecting to the spotlight – but for me, this birthday is special because she is here with us. So ---- HAPPY Birthday Heather!

Psalm 127
Unless the LORD Builds the House
A Song of Ascents. Of Solomon.
1Unless the LORD builds the house, those who build it labor in vain.Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchman stays awake in vain.2It is in vain that you rise up early and go late to rest,eating the bread of anxious toil; for he gives to his beloved sleep.
3Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, the fruit of the womb a reward.4Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children[
a] of one’s youth.5Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them!He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.[b]
Footnotes:
Psalm 127:4 Or sons
Psalm 127:5 Or They shall not be put to shame when they speak with their enemies in the gate


Agape’


Mr. Jim

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, Heather . . . that devotion is really sweet. You are truly blessed.

slj said...

Very touching. You are Blessed!
Sheri

sober white women said...

You are not alone in the whole budget issue. We are finally able to put a little in savings but not as much as we would like, but our heads are above water and that is all that really matters.
Kelli

Myra said...

What a nice note from Dad! You're getting by with what you have...at times, that is all you can do.

mawmaw said...

I THINK IT WAS pOP AND MAWMAW THAT PULLED CODY UP FROM FAILING WITH A LOT OF HELP FROM THE ASSISTANT PRINCIPAL AND CLAYTON COUNTY SChOOL SYSTEM, And his Mom ,and a lot of help from all his doctors

Jeanne said...

I'm glad you HAD such a wonderful birthday...and I say HAD because I know how close you came to NOT having one at all. That note from your dad is precious. Treasure it always!!! Unfortunately, my dad is not around, physically, anymore and that little note from your daddy will be precious forever!

((hugs))
Jeanne