My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Thursday, April 28, 2011

thankful thursday

I came across this verse yesterday during my Bible study...

"when he thunders, the waters in the heavens roar; he makes clouds rise from the ends of the earth. He sends lightning with the rain and brings out the wind from the storehouses." Jeremiah 51:16

I can't really wrap my mind around devastation like what happened yesterday in the Southeast. A sweet church friend had a facebook status that one of her family members lost everything. I haven't even heard a count yet about how many lives were lost... certainly thousands of lives were changed forever, in an instant.

I felt a lot of anxiety last night watching the Weather Channel... watching such huge storms roll through knowing that they were causing destruction. I didn't fear so much for our safety because honestly, whatever will be, will be. I've already been through a time of great material loss and our lives are only better for it.

As I was praying yesterday and sort of whining before the Lord about my back pain - which was off the charts yesterday - I had a vision of my life in an eternal sense. In other words... if you believe you have eternal life three months suffering or even 30 years suffering has a much smaller impact. And if that suffering is meant to shape your character, meant to develop who you will be for eternity... and even more than that... if that suffering shapes the lives of OTHERS for eternity... it's not such a desperate ordeal. It's... well, it's a blessing.

So while I look at the pictures of devastation, pain and suffering for those who live in my corner of the world... I have to wonder what great eternal value is being achieved. And to take that a step further... if we believe in eternal life and we see Heaven as a place of no more sorrow and no more pain... should we really feel sorry for those who lose their lives? I mean... we grieve for our loss of relationship and fellowship with them but if you had a friend who was dirt poor and they won the lottery, would you be sad that they had to leave their shack behind and move into a great mansion?

Of course... for loved ones who die without knowing the Lord... it's different. One hundred and fifty four people is the latest death toll. How many of them have traded in a shack for a mansion?

I had a great mail call yesterday... sweet card from my grandmother... another sweet card from my Aunt Ginger where she explained how she prays... sweet letter from my niece Jamie where she writes in her (very neat) kindergarten handwriting, "Dear Aunt Heather, sorry you are not feeling so good. And we are sad about that. Love Jamie and Mama". Precious! And another card from a high school friend, Alisa... and a card from my penpal Deb. How much do I love snail mail? I am going to put together a scrapbook of my cards and letters. They are so precious to me and give such great encouragement. Whenever you take a letter out of the mailbox you know that someone thought enough of you to put pen to paper and stamp on envelope.

My day off tomorrow has many things on the agenda... I have to renew my car tag and find out why the tag we paid for via mail hasn't shown up, even though the check has cleared. I have the follow up appointment with the pain clinic which is sure to bring aggravation. But I will also be sure to thank God for taking me to another year of life and I feel, even more strongly now, that He has given me life, THIS life for a purpose and I pray that I have the wisdom to use every circumstance of my life for His glory.

Today I'm thankful that the storms passed by my nest... I'm thankful for the peace of the early morning... I'm thankful for another year... and I'm thankful that this is my Friday!

Have a great day, y'all... love and hugs...

4 comments:

Adirondackcountrygal said...

I need to get stamps and start sending cards and letters too!

Heather said...

Yes! Message me your address and I'll get you started!

Red*Hot@55! said...

all of your talk of snail mail has encouraged me to get started with sending cards....

and thanks for always finding the positives and the messages in the things that go on in your life - it's refreshing to see someone do that when they have to deal with so many different issues....

Laurie said...

Good luck tomorrow! I have a cortisone shot scheduled for two weeks from tomorrow for hip bursitis. Not too excited about that!