My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Sunday, June 12, 2011

a legacy of love

After the recent reunion with my mama's family - the Penningtons - I have connected with a few of my Pennington cousins. We are a large and diverse family, as I've mentioned before, and our ancestors were Godly - yet colorful people.


When my grandmother, Virginia "Flossie" Pennington passed away in May 1998, I asked if I could have one of her bibles. There is a treasure of sayings and quotes and thoughts jotted down on little pieces of paper in that old bible... I think I've shared them before with you.... One of my cousins, Donald, who is the son of my mom's brother David, was interested in the notes and so I am partly transcribing for him... but also because I love the simple wisdom she shares and I hope you find a nugget or two to carry you today. (this is only about 1/4 of the notes... will post more later)

It is not good to fuss at people who are lost but help turn them toward God.
The most effective means of evangelism is one persons inviting another person to Christ.
A missionary is not necessarily one who crosses the sea but one who sees the cross.
Day by day we gather the harvest of yesterday and we are sowing for the harvest of the future.
It has been said that what we do in an emergency is the result of what we have been doing and thinking in the days before.
But by the grace of God, I am what I am.
As we cut ourselves off from God by sin we wither away.
Suffering accepted & used my prove to be the best fruit of your life.
God's grace does not always explain nor remove the thorn but it is always sufficient to overcome.
In our judgments of other people we ought to wait until we hear their side.
Every life is determined by decisions. We need God's strength and guidance in making decisions.
If we make our decision in God's presence we have wisdom and insight that we would not have otherwise.
A good counselor: ask the person to relax their hands. ask what is their problem. Listen to them. Ask the question, "what do you think you should do about it" Listen. That is the only thing you do . They settle it.
There is great power when we make our decisions in God's presence.
No person is ever defeated until he thinks he is.
Christians have tremendous power if we use it.
No person really begins to live until he begins to live for God and others.
Practice the presence of God.
The New Testament only records one time when Jesus was in a hurry.
Jesus was never too busy when somebody needed his help.
He who cannot let go cannot hang on.
The Christian faith is putting my life in God's hands.
Prayer is committing my will to God's will.
When God's power begins to flow through a human life, wonderful and marvelous things can be accomplished.
It is wonderful what God can do with a person who is a clear channel.
If I am in God's hands, He can use me.
The church is the body of Christ, the instrument through which he lives and works in the world.
My church is my spiritual home. I am nourished by it. I am committed to it's life and work. I am grieved for it's failures and pray for it.
What a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear.
Your best friend is he who brings out the best that is within you. Jesus has a way of bringing out our best.

Today I have an appointment with the pain doctor. Holly is on vacation this week and Mondays are always crazy so I will have to rush down to Gainesville, hope the doctor is on schedule and rush back. No lunch for me today. I'm packing a sandwich so I can eat while driving. Pray that the doctor has better suggestions for pain control. Last night I literally lay in bed whimpering. So glad I'm single so nobody has to put up with that!

Yesterday I was able to talk to my brother David. It's been several years since I heard his voice and I've gotta tell you, we were both in tears. We are a large and diverse family but I love each and every family member with a deep, passionate, desperate, unconditional love that defies the logic of this world. My brothers are my lifelong friends and companions. My cousins are my treasures. My aunts and uncles are my connection with my family history and the examples of how to live. My elders - the Steel Magnolias - are my reminder of the strength that lies within me. My children, nieces and nephews are our legacy and my reason to live. And my parents... they're my rock, my anchor, my safety net... I am so blessed to be part of this amazing army of people who help define who help define who I am.

I'm out of time this morning... busy day ahead... I ask for your prayer for me and for my family. God has opened the door to reconciliation for some of us and I pray that it will come to pass.

Hope you have a beautiful, blessed Monday!


1 comments:

Red*Hot@55! said...

I pray for reconciliation for your family, as well as more help with your pain management. May God continue to bless you