My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Sunday...

Today has been a nice, restful, peaceful day. Church was nice-although Stasha and I are not loving the music lately... we agreed today that Angie needs to pick the music out but I wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. We've just been singing a lot of 1st Baptist kind of music. And although we're technically a first baptist church, we don't really worship like one. Usually. Except lately. But it's still good. We're doing an in depth study of the book of John and I'm excited about it. We're learning stuff... got lots of hugs from all my girls... got to sit with Stasha and with Abbie (our pastors daughter). Got to pick up my sweet nieces from their classes. They have a new thing where you have to sign the kid out... I signed "Aunt Heather" instead of my name and Sarabeth thought it was funny. That's my name, right?

After church me and Austin ran by the Ingles to see if we could squeeze out a few supplies out of the end of the paycheck minus child support which - once again - has not been forthcoming (don't worry, his day is coming!). We decided to make spaghetti - so I bought the canned spaghetti sauce (it's cheaper) to go with the ten packs of spaghetti noodles I had accumulated in the pantry. We also bought popcorn, frozen pizza (for a pig-out dinner tonight) a tiny container of milk and a two liter coke for him. Today is the first day in 2010 that I haven't gotten my fruits and veggies in... what can I say? End of the groceries...

While we were in Ingles Austin ran into a little metal guard around the corner of the frozen food section. He cut a big chunk out of his shin... it looks so painful. We probably should have filed an incident report but he was embarassed and in a lot of pain. Fortunately we were making a very quick run and were in and out in less than ten minutes.

They are forecasting 2-4 inches of snow for us for tomorrow. I have a huge dilemma in that the snow is starting around 7am... and then the temps are supposed to hover around freezing all day. Likely I would make it out in the morning but might not make it back home after work. I have this HUGE fear of causing damage to my car. I just really can't afford a repair bill on it - not in the form of a deductible and definitely not in the form of a total loss as there is no way I could get enough for it to pay it off and then replace it. I'm trying to be a good steward of my resources, which includes making sure I work as much as I can... but I also have to know that I can get back home - back to my kid - at the end of the day. Right now I'm planning to wait it out until mid morning before leaving for work... the snow is supposed to be a fast moving storm, in and out by 11am or so. It's got me slightly anxious... but I won't know until tomorrow anyways... so I won't worry about it until then.

I'm watching the "The Sky Is Falling" forecast now. Atlanta meteorologists are such drama queens! The storm warning is in effect through 1pm. I'll just pray for the wisdom to make the right decision. This is what I did on Friday and HONESTLY... on Friday I really believed that I would make it through the whole workday but I kept a cautious eye on things. I left work at 3:15 and by 5pm - an hour before I usually get home from work - our road was shut down and our driveway was so slick that we couldn't even walk down it. That was with one inch of snow.

I have this theory about southern snow. I think part of the reason that it's such a nightmare for southerners - besides the obvious points of not having the proper tires or snow plows and things like that - is because it's not that cold here. We start off with this wet snow and it freezes up becoming a sheet of ice. Nobody can drive on ice. As of 1pm today one of the roads out of my subdivision was STILL closed - it's a very steep road and completely shaded. The weather was mild today - in the 40's - but it stayed frozen.

Tonight is a big tv night for me... Jeff and Jordan on the Amazing Race... figure skating... I plan to veg right here in my cozy nest and enjoy it all.

Y'all have a good one!

0 comments: