My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Sunday, January 24, 2010

brown rice

For years I have bought the ready made microwavable rice packs because I never had time - in my nuke and go world - to take the time to cook rice - especially brown rice. I have finally figured out the trick and I'm going to pass it along to you...

microwave.

Yep. It has been said about me that I could live in a hotel room because all I need is a bathroom, a bed, a tv, wireless internet and a microwave. It's nice to be so low maintenance. It's not really true, I need a lot more... but for rice... I just need a microwave.

And a casserole dish with a lid. But that's all.

Here's the cooking method that works wonderfully...
1 cup of dry brown rice (you know, the really cheap clear bags that you avoid because they're too much trouble)
2 cups of water or broth

Combine in casserole dish. Add a little salt. Cook covered on full power in the microwave for five minutes or until the water is boiling. Stir. Cook - still covered - on 50% power for twenty minutes. Let sit in the microwave for five minutes. Done!

This makes three cups of rice.

I'm making a few batches and storing in the fridge for the week so that it's heat and eat. Reheating rice works best if you sprinkle a little water on it before you heat it.

1 comments:

Remo said...

One of my favorite kitchens gadgets (I have many)is a small rice cooker I bought at Walmart for $15. Easy-peasy.