My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Friday, January 29, 2010

wintry weather weekend countdown!

The sky is falling!
Ok. Not really.
Welcome to my Wintry Weather Weekend Countdown!
It’s been a hectic day – not so much because we’re busy but because we’ve been shorthanded by three (3 out of 5 is significant).
I’ve been wearing a lot of hats.
I just took out the trash. That should tell you something!
The hard part is being without a receptionist since I’m the most visable office… I end up playing receptionist, even if I have a client in my office and I just don’t switch back and forth that easily.
On top of all that – we got all new computer hardware installed today so there’s been a learning curve too.
But… that makes the day pass quickly… and the weekend will be here in less than four hours!
We got this weather bulletin:

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EST SATURDAY...A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EST SATURDAY.A MIX OF RAIN AND SNOW WILL DEVELOP FROM THE WEST THIS AFTERNOON. PRECIPITATION WILL TRANSITION TO MAINLY SNOW THIS EVENING...WITH PERIODS OF HEAVY SNOW LIKELY CONTINUING WELL INTO SATURDAY. THE SNOW MAY MIX WITH SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN AT TIMES...ESPECIALLY IN LOCATIONS SOUTH OF INTERSTATE 40...AND THE LITTLE TENNESSEE VALLEY. THE PRECIPITATION SHOULD GRADUALLY TAPER OFF FROM THE WEST SATURDAY EVENING.TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 10 INCHES CAN BE EXPECTED ACROSS MOST OF THE WARNED AREA. AMOUNTS WILL LIKELY BE A LITTLE LESS IN THE VALLEYS OF THE SOUTHWEST MOUNTAINS WHERE THE SNOW WILL MIX WITH SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN AT TIMES. SNOWFALL TOTALS MAY REACH OR EXCEED 9 TO 12 INCHES IN THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF THE NORTHERN MOUNTAINS...ESPECIALLY AREAS NEAR THE BLUE RIDGE.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW... SLEET...AND ICE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. HEAVY WET SNOW AND/OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS MAY RESULT IN TOPPLED TREES AND/OR POWER LINES. TRAVEL IS EXPECTED TO BECOME VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE.
Soooo. Yikes! None of the other news sources are confirming this high of an amount of precipitation but they are saying accumulated ice and snow. I prayed about it. Seriously. Prayed about it… and asked that God would let me know what to do to prepare. We’re total electric… no fireplace… no grill… so I went out and bought stuff for cereal… bought some great high fiber wheat bread and tuna… almond butter and peanut butter for sandwiches… we have lots of fresh fruit… celery … stuff that doesn’t have to be cooked. Enough to last us several days. Have any other “no power” preparation tips?

Other than that… today is 4 weeks into my healthier lifestyle and I’m officially down four pounds and five inches. I wanted to see bigger numbers but I also want sustainable numbers. I feel awesome

Dinner last night was stir fried collards, corn, brown rice and blackened tilapia. UH-mazing!
It was so good that I made stir fried collards for breakfast this morning… seasoned with turmeric. Austin says it smells like dirt but it really gives it a nice curried flavor. I also did some browned plantains… just sliced them and sautéed with a little spray of PAM… sprinkled with cinnamon… really yum!
Lunch was salmon and a spinach salad with one boiled egg, green peas, red onion, cheese, sunflower seeds, oil and vinegar.
Snack was a pear. I have either yogurt, almonds or an orange for snack later… whichever I choose. I’ve had basically five servings of produce so far today so I can have a protein snack if I want – the yogurt or almonds. Depends on how hungry I am and if I have time to stop and eat. If I’m too busy to stop I just eat almonds.
Well…. Duty calls… tons of half done stuff lurking around me that is begging for my attention.

My brother was scheduled for surgery this morning… no update on that yet. I sent him a text that says, “merde”… typically theatre people say, “break a leg” before a performance but since dancers don’t want to break a leg, they say, “merde”. I figured since he was having knee surgery “break a leg” was less than appropriate.

Mom is having her macular hole repair on Monday. This is a big deal because she has to stay face down for two weeks afterwards… so keep my family in your prayers! Speedy recoveries all around!
I’m feeling awesome!
Stay warm, stay dry, stay safe… love and hugs!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Power outages are exactly the reason we heat and cook with propane ~ although I know you as a renter had no choice in the matter. When Doug and I first moved here, we'd have times where we'd get ice and the power lines would be down all around and we would be without power for several days. It's not so bad now, but I still love my propane!

Peaceful Epiphany said...

Came by to say HI....Ive missed you over here. I don't get the updates anymore. Or maybe never DID because I was always looking at my dashboard....which I'm NOT anymore. LOL. So yeah....miss you...miss your blog and your daily words...more than just the status updates on facebook.

Hugs to you girl.
Jen

Anonymous said...

Hi.
How Is the usa weather today?
introduces readers to various types of weather that occur during each season.
The text discusses typical activities and clothing for each type of weather.
Supportive illustrations accompany the text. You can find out here...
Bye now

http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/weather-today.html

Anonymous said...

Keep posting stuff like this i really like it