My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Sunday, June 13, 2010

"it costs too much to eat healthy"

Want to take a guess about how much this healthy trip to the grocery store cost?

Enter in comments... I'll post an answer later today.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
The actual total was $29.08. Food tax in Georgia is minimal so it was right around $30.

I was really excited, considering that a fast food trip for me and Auggie is $10 - at least - and eating out at lunch for me is usually $5-$8.

This gives me real hope for not only eating healthy but also being able to afford it! And afford my $40 a month for Weight Watchers. I'd really like to be able to attend meetings until I've lost 50 pounds or for 6 months... long enough to make it a habit.

I've been working with the online tools to figure up a menu for the week. I've got my food prepared thru Wednesday... down to having my cereal measured out and in the bowl ready to add water in the morning (hot cereal). I've got everything lined up in the fridge, sorted by day. I've HAD healthy food around for the past six months. I've just got to get hard core about eating a really balanced diet, every day. (and I've almost got Thursday's menu worked out!) And unfortunately, the more tired I am, the harder time I have making good choices.

Here's what I've eaten today:
breakfast: 10 grain hot cereal, 1 tbsp brown sugar, 1 tsp butter (I measured!) & a cucumber
lunch: blackened tilapia over fresh spinach, grilled tomato and squash
snack: 2 oz reduced fat cheddar, 1 cup of strawberries with 1 tsp sugar
dinner: 3 oz grilled chicken - marinated in red wine and balsamic vinegar, sauteed collard greens, baked sweet potato with 1 tsp butter (which is a tiny amount but I used a lot of cinnamon and it was fine!)

Honestly, it's the best I've eaten in weeks... not just from a nutritional standpoint but also from the perspective of tasting good, being filling and satisfying.

My goal is to not eat after dinner... always my downfall. Those sleepy choices were also always bad for me and I often underestimated portions...

Gotta dash! The Tony Awards are on!





Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

$35?

Jeanne said...

$50.00

Probably sad, but true......

((hugs))
jeanne

Dutch said...

I will say $40.00

Anonymous said...

$22