My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Friday, July 23, 2010

free thought friday

Shirley Sherrod is getting on my nerves. Her little "misunderstood" anecdote that brought so much controversy and Fox News hate... outlines her initial intention as a government official to discriminate against a white farmer because of her life experiences that left her with some racial prejudices. Um... ok... great, she saw the error of her ways in time to help the poor white guy... but... you know, I've never had any inclination toward discrimination against a client based on race. On attitude... maybe... but every race gets the same *excellent* customer service from me. I didn't have to learn my lesson. I never learned prejudice. Isn't that the REAL story? Where are the REAL racists?

Atlanta news channels are leading with a story this morning about a shooting at a Little Ceasars restaurant in Demorest... less than a 1/2 mile from my office.... in the same shopping center where I have lunch (in the shadow of the walmart sign) a couple of times a week. I know that crime is everywhere but it's rare here. I mean... we live without Chickfila, we should have some perks like... no crime.

I woke up with a headache. I've been consuming less caffeine since my coffee pot has been on the blink. It only releases a tablespoon or so of coffee at a time. I patiently worked at it until I was able to get about six ounces today. It's helping. Headache is fading.

My Doodle-Bug comes home today! He called yesterday... placing his order for what items he wants at his disposal upon his return. *eyeroll* He's having fun. He got a little sunburned. If he's caused trouble or gotten into trouble, I haven't heard of it yet.

Tomorrow is weigh in. I'm not seeing any change on my rag tag scale, really but I'm wondering if it's working. My wish list officially includes a new scale and a new coffee pot. Oh, and a food processor because that cheap one I bought has tanked on me.

I am, however, noticing some change in that middle buddha tier of belly... there's actually an indention between the top tier and the hip tier... I'm finding a waist and I'm very excited because a waist is a terrible thing to waste! Hey... that would make a good status update!

I'm going to commit to one full year of Weight Watchers... on plan, full pay, tracking, doing the whole program. This means my family might not get much in the way of Christmas gifts this year... a healthy Heather will be your gift... but I'm going to put my full efforts into it - regardless of the results at the scale. Because I believe... even if it's slow going on the scale, there is absolutely no way I can seriously work the plan for a year and not come out healthier on the other end. One year means a $480 price tag. It's not cheap. But I'm really REALLY saving so much money just by not eating out, especially for lunch. At a minimum of $5 a day for lunch, usually more, I'm saving a hundred dollars a month!

So... with that commitment... yes, it's a bummer if the scale doesn't give me the reward I want... my results should match my efforts... but I'm still going to stay the course for a full year.

Very excited to have a picnic planned for after church on Sunday with some of my girls... Cyndi, Angie, Alisa, Natalie... and whoever else wants to join us. I'll probably try to take my red headed babes if they're free. Austin has already opted out, which is fine.

Wish I could pick up one of those cool picnic baskets like my New York family is going to enjoy in Central Park tomorrow.... I'll just have to put together my own, very cool picnic basket. I'm leaning toward hummus, that chickpea caprese salad that I love, some fruit... things that aren't scary volatile in the heat... because it's hot here. Really hot.

Ok... time to get some game time in before glam time. Hope you all have a great Friday and an awesome weekend... love and hugs, y'all!

3 comments:

mawmaw said...

We have a good food processor we use about once a year if you would like to use it, we will bring it Sunday if we come.

Anonymous said...

Violent crime in small towns is scary, because it is usually so unexpected. There was a family of 3 found dead in their home here earlier this week, and the authorities still haven't determined if it was a triple homicide or a double murder-suicide. So sad. Young parents and their 8-month-old baby.

Allie said...

Hi Megan!
Just wanted to let you know, I tagged you in a blog award. You can pick it up at my blog:
http://stupidwlb.blogspot.com/
-CN