My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Thursday, July 8, 2010

thankful thursday

My things I'm thankful for are bold.
I’ve been reading a lot about weight loss. Knowledge is power, you know?
I’m reading “You On A Diet” by Dr. Oz – it’s really helpful in understanding the physical processes involved in how your body uses food and how certain foods hinder weight loss – and not just from a high calorie standpoint.
I’m deeply interested in nutrition but not just from a weight loss standpoint. I want to know what I can eat that will make me feel as good as my 42 year old body can possibly feel.
I’ve learned a few things that seem to be helping… using turmeric, cinnamon, garlic to help with high blood pressure and inflammation. Using celery as a diuretic. The need for things with B vitamins to give me energy. High fiber to help me stay full longer. Avoiding foods (like chicken) with hormones that seem to stimulate my appetite. Avoiding sugar at all costs because it is the worst appetite trigger in the world for me. Avoiding empty calories.
It is entirely possible (although not recommended) to have a zero point Weight Watchers day because there are so many foods out there that are complete powerhouses of nutrition without packing any unnecessary calories.
I’m getting really good at satisfying my need to munch with things like grilled zucchini… roasted broccoli… pickled beets… broiled bananas or plantains.
It’s really, really easy. So, ridiculously easy.
I say that in sort of a judgmental way to myself and to others who may have given up the fight because it was just too hard.
It’s really not that hard.
Shop smart. Plan ahead. Learn your triggers. Stay ahead of hunger.
I haven’t felt great this week. Stressed out (see previous post on raising an ungrateful child). Tired. Dragging. Bored. Stagnant.
But I’m proud to say that I haven’t returned to my usual “woe is me” eating habits.
I’m in more of a “WHOA, is me” state of mind… acutely aware of how what I eat is affecting me.
Although I think I’m due for some very healthy dark chocolate. Maybe melted and drizzled over strawberries?
I’m getting to the point where I NEED exercise. I don’t just reluctantly do it. I need it. I didn’t yesterday (see previous post on migraine. Oh wait. I don’t think I wrote one because I had a migraine and couldn’t stand to look at the computer screen) and I feel soooo slow today. Also, I’m sure, in part to the migraine.
And… my headaches used to be so frequent and require strong medication. I’ll have you know that I didn’t take so much as an ibuprofen yesterday. I just went to sleep. I knew I was tired from not getting enough sleep the night before and… I woke up without a headache. I wonder how many of those prolonged headaches I used to have were from overmedicating, rebounding and never really catching up to a normal sleep cycle.
I truly feel like this year has brought me the best sleep of my life… since giving up ambien. Weird, huh?
Oh... and that last statement from the last post about the cat... he was doing his spastic rounds of the house and my nest just happened to be on the race course... he ran across my neck. Yes, my neck. Got a few little punctures but I'm ok. Until the cat scratch fever sets in, anyways. Little monster. He's such a brat... but soooo sweet. He didn't mean to hurt me... he circled back around to check on me.
I set off a fly bomb in the house this morning. We still have so durn many flies... I don't get it... I'm working so hard at keeping the kitchen clean. Cleaner even that it was under the Reign of Terror. Spotless. Never a dirty dish in the sink unless it got dirty in the middle of a dishwasher cycle. Flies are everywhere around here, I've noticed. Makes me feel like I'm on one of those Feed the Children commercials when I'm swatting flies off of my dinner... and trying to keep the cat out of it.
Austin went back to Zack's house for a few days. I'm really, very ok with that since he took his nasty little attitude with him. Zack's house isn't air-conditioned. Ours is air conditioned. Blissfully air conditioned.
Big Brother starts tonight! Yay!

0 comments: