My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Sunday, July 25, 2010

hey... good lookin'... whatcha got cookin?

So today has been a much more productive Sunday than usual for me... got up, packed a yummy picnic, fought with my non-compliant teenager, went to church, went on a picnic with some friends, made a grocery run, made my lunches for the week...

Here's what's on the menu this week at Casa Weight Watchers:

chili lime salad
chickpea caprese salad
quinoa lentil salad
leftover spicy pasta salad (leftover from last week)
cauliflower and hummus
whole wheat rotini (unsure of sauce yet)
salmon
fresh tuna
blackberries and yogurt for breakfast
whole wheat bread from our trusty local bakery
homemade croutons to serve the first two salads over (to amp up my whole grains and b vitamins)

I'm exited about the chili lime salad... it's something I dreamed up with some stuff I had in the pantry. Here's how I made it:
1 can black beans (rinsed)
1 can corn (whole kernal, rinsed) (rinsed to remove sodium from canned veggies)
1 can bean sprouts (the kind you put in chinese food)
chopped tomatoes
roasted red pepper (I used the kind from a jar... half a pepper)
1/2 package chili seasoning (the kind you use to make a pot of chili)
chili oil (just a drizzle)
lime juice
thinly sliced red onion
a little red wine vinegar
mixed together! I so very much wanted fresh cilantro in this salad and even made a special trip to the grocery store JUST to get cilantro... and there was none in the whole store. I even asked the produce guy to check in the back for me. He wasn't very enthusiastic about it, but he did. The way I prepared this it's only 1-2 weight watchers points per cup so I might add avocado to it. (avocado is high point but worth it!)

I have been dying to make quinoa salad but unable to find quinoa locally. When I went to the farm yesterday I was so excited about my herbs that I forgot to ask about quinoa. I had a box mix of quinoa (sort of like quinoa-a-roni) so I made it... chilled it... added lentils, olive oil, fresh tomatoes, cucumber... we'll see how that turns out.

Right now I'm cooking rosemary roasted potatoes and cauliflower to go with broiled tuna for dinner.

I have a headache, probably because of the heat.

Mama brought me the Atlanta newspaper and I'm so excited to curl up and read it!

Big Brother and The Next Food Network Star are both on tonight. Good tv night for me.

I added lime juice and fresh basil to my ice water today and it's really, really good!

Our picnic spot was beautiful... today was a bit hot for me to be out in it, though, makes it hard to breathe. I had a fabulous picnic spread... I was really proud of it.

Gonna go check my stuff in the oven... happy Sunday, y'all!

0 comments: