My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

choose joy

I am DETERMINED today to speak words of exhortation and not complaint.

I am determined to say things that will encourage people. I want people to feel better after talking to me. I don't want them to walk away feeling discouraged. I want them to leave me feeling inspired.

It is so easy to commisserate with people as a way of connecting with them. I just don't know that I want to connect with someone who is walking in negativity. I want to walk above the fray. I want to stand on higher ground. I want to be a beacon of positive energy.

I want to be someone who makes people think... who empowers people... who allows them to see beyond circumstances. I want to speak words of wisdom and not bitterness. I want to be kind to those who are not kind. I want to be the kind of person who people are uncomfortable gossiping with... the kind of person who makes people see possibilities, not limitations.

I live in a world of negativity. I really do. The news (see entry below) is stressful. There are people in my life who I can't be around for ten minutes without them spewing some kind of discouragement or bitterness. There are people in my life who can't see beyond their pain. There are people in my life who have chosen a path of "less than"...

I don't want that. I want "greater than"... I want to be able to do anything God wants me to do. I want to not just survive but also to thrive. I want to climb mountains... ford rivers... feel the sun on my face.... dance in the rain. I want to know that I am enough. I want to exude gladness.

I hope you will too.

4 comments:

Peaceful Epiphany said...

You have DEFINITELY been that for me lately. And for that, I thank you.

Full circle.

Times change, the world changes, our circumstances change...people change...we change...thank you.

Jeanne said...

I AM WITH YOU ON THIS ONE! Someone once told me I brought too much negativity into their life. Truth is, THEY were the negativity and they refused to allow themselves to see the glass as "half full." People like that really weigh me down and life is much sweeter when we realize how wonderful our life really is!

Missie said...

I'm one who always looks on the bright side. A person can't live a full life any other way.

Have a good hump day tomorrow.

Barbara said...

Good for you! that is a noble goal.