My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Monday, January 19, 2009

butler's brats

Monday mornings are so icky! It doesn't matter how well I sleep (and I slept ok last night) I just don't want to get out of bed on Monday.


They're predicting SNNNNOOOOOW for the mountain counties tonight. Mountains means me! I'm sssssooooo excited! Of course, we have the Chicken Little news forecast here in Atlanta... "the sky is falling"... they always exaggerate the possibilities so I'm not really counting it as a definite.


I have more of a sore throat this morning. Who knows what shape I'll be in by the end of the day... typically when our office is open and many people have a holiday (like today, Columbus Day, that sort of thing) we stay very busy. It's a holiday that carries no traditions for most people and so they spend the day as an extra weekend day - taking care of business. Insurance is business.


I always tell the story of how I first learned of Martin Luther King, Jr. You would think, growing up in Atlanta, that I would have had an awareness of him. Nope. It wasn't until tenth grade when one of the oh... maybe five.... black girls in the entire school (out of 1300 or so students at that time) my friend Sonja, said, "we shouldn't even be at school today... it should be a holiday". I thought she was kidding and I laughed. She didn't laugh. I said, "what holiday should it be?" "Dr Martin Luther King's birthday". "Who's that?" Seriously.


To be fair, I had never heard of Elvis until the day he died. The neighbor boy came over and said his mama was crying because Elvis had died. "Who's Elvis?" I had no idea.


My friend Tammy posted several pictures on facebook of our 9th grade cheerleading team! Talk about a blast from the past! There are some great pictures of me in my bright yellow overalls I used to wear. School spirit and all.... I don't have time to post them all right now but here's one for you! I am on the middle row, 1st one on the left. I'm going to try to photoshop these and make them lighter so you can see the faces better. Our cheerleading sponsor took soooo many pictures.... between the twenty of us girls I bet there are hundreds of pictures floating around. She took pictures of every special occasion. Our sponsor's name was Dawn Butler so she called us Butler's Brats. Those were good times....
This is why facebook is so much fun for me!
Ok... I have got to start getting ready for work! Staff meeting this morning.
Have a great day, y'all! Love and hugs!

5 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Hope your Monday is a great one.
'On Ya'-ma

Missie said...

Hope you get that snow! Enjoy your week.

Missie said...

Hope you get that snow! Enjoy your week.

*Tracy* said...

loved the pics! hope you have a good week. hugs

Peaceful Epiphany said...

SNOW!!!
Almost 70 degrees here!
But the girls woke up last noght SICK qith coughs. Kaitlynn has her croop. Don't get it. She is back on her breathing treatments. UGH. BUT, it's the first time this winter. THANK GOD!!!

We are planning a LAKE TAHOE TRIP TO SEE THE SNOW...just because we didn't get a long winter and because my surgery and all. LOL. So we WILL be seeing the snow one way or another...BUT...it will be on OUR terms. ROFL. ;)

That pyramid pic is priceless!