My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I'm just not a worker bee

Monday was great, Tuesday was....eehhh. I mean, it's bound to happen. You have to have a rebound, right? I mean... the day wasn't BAD... it was just long. I left for work at 7:30 this morning and got home at 6:30 tonight. I got fairly snippy because we had some people wander in right as we were locking up tonight wanting a quote for auto insurance. They were sweet people (a little bit old and a little bit country which made things a little slower, trying to explain insurance to them). It didn't bother me that they came so late. It bothered me that with all the trouble I've had with Austin being alone after school, I somehow ended up having these people dumped on me.

The original deal with Duane was that I would work 8-5 but the office is open until 5:30. I'm a team player. I don't feel right cutting out a half hour before everyone else but... there have definitely been some issues (fire in the carport last week) with Austin being unsupervised for two and a half hours after school. Every minute that ticks by after 3:30, I am worrying about what he's getting into. The kid that provided the lighter fluid was at the house this afternoon, although he has been told to stay away. (I found one of his school papers in the kitchen. He's not only a delinquent but he's also not very swift, apparently) And it really aggravated me that my co-workers (especially the one without kids) were all too quick to say, "see ya, good luck".

I'm the first one at the office every morning. I am the only person who works Saturdays. I told Duane (who was nice enough to stay with me but didn't see my email to him saying, "I really can't stay" until I was wrapping things up) that I was going to have to explain to my coworkers what sort of pressure I'm under with Austin, and how it's really not a good idea to leave him unsupervised for long. He said, "be diplomatic". *laugh* I really do like Duane.

It's Barry's 45th birthday today. I sent him a text at 6:30 this morning. He is not a morning person. He is also not one to really be big on birthdays but... oh well.

The new Good Housekeeping magazine came in the mail today. That always makes me happy! It's ridiculous how excited I get about getting a magazine in the mail.

I'm having to play bad cop with Austin to get him to clean his room. Remember the little orange pegs I talked about in December? Still finding them all around his room. No tv priviledges until they're picked up completely but... as usual, that means he wanders into my room every thirty second with some very important comment or question.

Biggest news of the day: during construction at the office they removed some of the trim and discovered the shriveled up, decayed skeleton of a rat. I took pictures and will post them later. It's gross.

Ok. Time to enjoy my veggie pizza. Love and hugs.

7 comments:

Tina of Moon Shine said...

that could go badly. your boss should be the one to let everyone know that you are not the person to be staying late.
havea great evening and thnaks for the prayers,
tina

Myra said...

I am the very first one at work. I make the coffee, unlock doors, boot up my computer, turn on the copy machine...I work as soon as I arrive, 7:45 am. At the stroke of 5 pm, I am out the door. Oh yeah, I eat lunch at my desk to cover the phones. I do my time, then I'm gone!

Anonymous said...

Hello. I'm the other woman's husband. I would like to comment about Heather's selfish soon to be ex-husband Michael. Michael has never commited to anyone, he has gone through life passing off his responsabilities to someone else. Good for the other people in his son's lives who take care of them on a day to day basis. I'm not a perfect person and have done things wrong in my marriage, but let in be known I was willing to do what it took to make things right. When this all first happened I would pour my heart out to my wife and she went and called Michael. Michael was asked man to man from me to leave her alone because she had a young family that needed to heal. He said he was her friend and would be there for her. Michael a friend would have understood and encourage their friend to talk to her husband, especially when there are three young lives. My nine year old cries to me, my six year tells he is very angry and my two year old cries when I leave. You both have altered their personalties forever. As I told my nine year old the other night when she couldn't sleep because the divorce was on her mind. Daddy's are there to protect their children! That's what I intend to do. Michael can you say the same?

Peaceful Epiphany said...

AMEN TO ANON/DEAN for leaving HIS SIDE OF THE STORY!!! KUDOS TO YOU FOR PROTECTING YOUR PRECIOUS BEAUTIFUL BABIES FROM THE HORRORS OF DIVORCE.

YES, THAT IS WHAT A DADDY DOES. HE PROTECTS HIS BABIES FROM HARM...PHYSICALLY AND EMOTIONALLY.

MJD HAS NEVER STOOD UP FOR HIS SONS. NEVER. NOT SINCE DAY ONE. NOT STEPHEN, NOT BOBBY/JORDAN. MJD IS A SAD EXCUSE FOR A FATHER. AND HE IS BRINGING YOUR SOON TO BE EX-WIFE DOWN WITH HIM.

THANK GOD HEATHER IS OUT OF THAT ABUSIVE SITUATION.

Kelly Dawn said...

umm i hope you are still having a great day!!

Kelly

LYN said...

CATCHING UP HERE...
I HAD A LONG ARSE DAY YESTERDAY TOO..
BUT GUESS WHAT?? OFF FOR THE NEXT FIVE DAYS...GOTTA LOVE MY SCHEDULE...
LOVE YOUR PICS...YOU LOOK THINNER IN THE FACE BY THE WAY...

Anonymous said...

Re Anon's comments

Anon's pain and hurt are astonishing. My heart goes out to you.

I hope sir, that you're able to find solace and wisdom so that you can transcend through the anger to a place where you can feel the hurt but it neither controls you nor limits you.

I wish this not only for you but for your kids.

There is some research out there which indicates that fathers are more than just protectors. They imbue their daughters especially with imagination and life.

Their affection for their daughters has the power to strengthen these girls into young women who are confident in their choices and know they can handle the world around them.

All I know of your situations is what I read here, and from here is certainly looks as though Michael is not a strong man. However, I hope that you are so that you can focus on strengthening yourself and the young women your kids will soon be.

Perhaps their success and happiness can be part of your path to recovery and regaining your own identity.

Best,

Robert