My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

meeting Cleveland's finest

I love the pictures of Jamie and Sarabeth at Disney so much that I hate to post another entry and push their pictures down the page!

I really had a great day today. I've been drinking this FUSE stuff and I think it's giving me a boost of energy. Or maybe all that prayin' is starting to pay off... work was busy again... not unpleasant but hectic.

In the last five minutes at work I got a phone call from Austin that went something like this:
A - Mom... it's me... Austin... there's someone here who needs to talk to you...

"Ma'am... this is Officer (something or other) of the Cleveland Police Department. I'm following up on a complaint from one of your neighbors that your son was burning things in your carport."

Thud.
Ok. I didn't really pass out but the blood definitely drained from my face.

"Now... the boy that was with him, he's 18 so I could charge him with arson and contributing to the delinquency of a minor."

That would be Kyle. The same boy whose stepfather took gas money from Austin back two months ago. Kyle who Austin skipped school with. Kyle who Austin has been told shouldn't be in my house while I'm at work.

"Austin could be charged as well but it's a first offense so I'm not going to do that but I would recommend that you reduce his exposure to this other young man".

Ya think? It's not the first time Austin has been in trouble, at least with me for burning things. I told the nice policeman that it wasn't Austin's first time and that I was worried. I said, "could you please put the fear of God in him?" and he offered to come back when I got home from work. He also said he'd keep a closer eye on things around here after school. He asked what time I get home in the evening so he knew how long Austin is alone. I think that's above and beyond the call of duty isn't it?

I left the office and listened to my voicemail. I was a little embarassed this morning because I finally listened to my fifteen voicemail messages and I had a sweet invitation to come to dinner at the home of one of our church members on New Year's Day! Not only did I not return her phone call or acknowledge the invitation - I SAT RIGHT BEHIND HER IN CHURCH ON SUNDAY AND DIDN'T MENTION IT!!!! I was so embarassed! So I have decided I will check messages EVERY day! Even though I hate it.

I got in the car and started listening to the radio and I was really ok until I heard this one song that always gets to me...

If You Want Me To
by Ginny Owens

The pathway is broken
And The signs are unclear
And I don't know the reason why
You brought me here
But just because
You love me the way that
You do I'm gonna walk through the valley
If You want me to

Chorus: Cause I'm not who I was
When I took my first step
And I'm clinging to the promise
You're not through with me yet
so if all of these trials bring me closer to you
Then I will walk through the fire
If You want me to

It may not be the way I would have chosen
When you lead me through a world that's not my home
But You never said it would be easy
You only said I'd never go alone ya oh oh no

So When the whole world turns against me
And I'm all by myself And I can't hear
You answer my cries for help
I'll remember the suffering
that Your love put You through
And I walk through the valley
If You want me to

Ginny Owens is blind, by the way. That sort of puts walking through the valley in a different perspective, doesn't it? I tried to find a youtube of it for those of you who like to play follow the links but I couldn't find one. Here's her myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/ginnyowens

I've been strong today! I've been excited ... in a good mood, happy, at peace, just feeling very OVER IT all... I've been delighting myself in the blessings of my life... sharing the precious encouragement I've received with others. I will also confess that I had a really good time with my Proverb of the day - chapter 6. I shared it with my phone buddy and he had a great time with it too and he's not much of a bible boy. I love how the Word of God can be SO applicable to our every day lives.

Listening to Ginny Owen's folksy voice singing almost like a lullaby... I just fell apart. I cried those big gulping sobs... and I sang along through my snotty tears. I got home... I screamed and hollered... and I straightened up the living room in anticipation of our family visit from the Po-Po. Good times. Break out the digital camera, mommy... we're making memories!

Officer (I can't remember his name) was punctual. We talked for a little bit. He told me that he was really concerned about this Kyle kid. He said, "I don't have anything on him but I think he's not a good influence on your son". I had to stiffle a sarcastic comment about his top notch investigative skills "Way to go Nancy Drew!" I don't mean it... it was really kind of him to come back and stage his little firestarter intervention with me. He was a good ole country boy and he admitted to setting 2 acres of pasture on fire when he was 8. He said, "you know... boys will do this sort of thing." I gave him my "mommy to a boy" credentials "he's my third son, sir" and volunteered that I would prefer that Austin be made aware of potential pitfalls of pyromania. I know I looked like Baby Jane with my mascara stained cheeks and the nice policeman was probably trying to prevent mommy from having a meltdown. I could tell he was one of those tough guys that doesn't do well with emotional women.

So he focused on Austin. He told him that if he was caught starting fires again that he would be charged with arson... he told him what would happen if Austin started a fire that caused property damage or injury to someone else. He gave him a nice little speech and told Austin that he didn't want to see him with Kyle again... and now that he knows Austin's mom doesn't want Kyle around, he'll watch for him. That's a small town cop for you, right?

And first thing tomorrow, I'll be increasing the liability limit on my renters insurance.

That's a day in the life. I'm not having a breakdown over this. I'm used to Austin doing stupid things. I really am sort of numb to the whole little boys are destructive thing. I've been living it for a LOOOOONG time. I do worry about what happens between the time he gets home from school and the time I get home from work but I can't afford to cut those eight hours of work every week from my paycheck. In only slightly more than three years he'll be 18. He is going to have to realize that he will be held accountable for his actions. I can't run interference for him and won't.

By the way... anybody want a Wii? I also have a Daisy BB gun that won't be used in the next decade.

Austin got all teary-eyed during his lecture... which is fine. He should be. He could have put us in a position of being evicted. I can't afford a deposit somewhere else! I don't have the resources to move again! I love my little home!

I'm going to bed early tonight. G'nite y'all!

6 comments:

Big Mark 243 said...

Gee, that is rough, your little go with Austin. Trouble for young boys is always around, especially when you have another insecure older boy, who is prolly w/o guidence around.

I will keep him in my thoughts.

Seems like you had an otherwise good day. Keep up with what made it good, and work from there.

sober white women said...

Oh the joys of being a mom! LOL Hang in there girl, it will get better.
Kelli

Myra said...

Unfortunately you're in a tough position...Austin needs supervision and you can't give it to him...you have no one else. Luckily, the nice police officer went above and beyond the call. Hopefully, it instilled some fear into Austin, and he'll stay away from that older kid!

Barbara said...

I feel for ya, I was a single mom of 3, 2 boys, both of which were involved with setting the barn on fire. They got their lecture from the fire department. yes, I want a wii, let me know what you want for it.
hugs.
Barbara

Anonymous said...

new to your blog.sharing your wounds is christ-like. after his resurrection christ kept his scars. he could have had a brand new body, but it was his nail scars in his hands and the wound in his side that convinced a disciple with doubts to say yes to his savior. a friend once told me this kind of honesty keeps it REAL. when He breaks tears down my cheeks, and pulls my thoughts away in His embrace--I am his. (see portrait in paint on my christmas post)

Peaceful Epiphany said...

How much for the Wii?? I know a family who would love it. NOT us. LOL. But another family here that I adore who is going through a rough patch (newly divorced mom with young kids) and barely any Christmas. Lemme know if you are serious. And lemme know how much you are willing to part with it and which games is may come with. :)

Sorry to hear about all this. I know this is HUGE PRESSURE for you. Always has been with Austin.

I will be praying!
Hugs,
Jen