My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

healing

I really don't have time to do an entry this morning as I need to be at work early... because I leave early today... but this passage of scripture just knocked me between the eyes and I want to share it with you!

I have a friend who has just had knee surgery (and another blog friend about to have knee surgery as well!) and I have been concerned about her recovery. I know she's in pain. I have this sympathetic thing with the people I love... I become co-dependently affected when people around me are hurting. Therefore... every day I wake up thinking, "Is she feeling better? Is she able to get around? Is there still someone taking care of her?" I will also confess that I am not a good friend to people with chronic illness because I get worn out from "our" pain! At any rate...

I was thinking about passages in the bible that discussed healing so that I could share one with my friend to encourage her. I came across this passage from Acts - the third chapter - I've posted it here but highlighted the parts I really want you to see, the rest just gives explanation and context for you.

Peter Heals the Crippled Beggar
1One day Peter and John were going up to the temple at the time of prayer—at three in the afternoon. 2Now a man crippled from birth was being carried to the temple gate called Beautiful, where he was put every day to beg from those going into the temple courts. 3When he saw Peter and John about to enter, he asked them for money. 4Peter looked straight at him, as did John. Then Peter said, "Look at us!" 5So the man gave them his attention, expecting to get something from them.
6Then Peter said, "Silver or gold I do not have, but what I have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk." 7Taking him by the right hand, he helped him up, and instantly the man's feet and ankles became strong. 8He jumped to his feet and began to walk. Then he went with them into the temple courts, walking and jumping, and praising God. 9When all the people saw him walking and praising God, 10they recognized him as the same man who used to sit begging at the temple gate called Beautiful, and they were filled with wonder and amazement at what had happened to him.

Peter Speaks to the Onlookers
11While the beggar held on to Peter and John, all the people were astonished and came running to them in the place called Solomon's Colonnade. 12When Peter saw this, he said to them: "Men of Israel, why does this surprise you? Why do you stare at us as if by our own power or godliness we had made this man walk? 13The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, the God of our fathers, has glorified his servant Jesus. You handed him over to be killed, and you disowned him before Pilate, though he had decided to let him go. 14You disowned the Holy and Righteous One and asked that a murderer be released to you. 15You killed the author of life, but God raised him from the dead. We are witnesses of this. 16By faith in the name of Jesus, this man whom you see and know was made strong. It is Jesus' name and the faith that comes through him that has given this complete healing to him, as you can all see.
17"Now, brothers, I know that you acted in ignorance, as did your leaders. 18But this is how God fulfilled what he had foretold through all the prophets, saying that his Christ[a] would suffer. 19Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord, 20and that he may send the Christ, who has been appointed for you—even Jesus. 21He must remain in heaven until the time comes for God to restore everything, as he promised long ago through his holy prophets. 22For Moses said, 'The Lord your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among your own people; you must listen to everything he tells you. 23Anyone who does not listen to him will be completely cut off from among his people.'[b]
24"Indeed, all the prophets from Samuel on, as many as have spoken, have foretold these days. 25And you are heirs of the prophets and of the covenant God made with your fathers. He said to Abraham, 'Through your offspring all peoples on earth will be blessed.'[c] 26When God raised up his servant, he sent him first to you to bless you by turning each of you from your wicked ways."

Just a few quick thoughts:
God can heal. It's not some Benny Hinn evangelical hocus pocus nonsense. God can and DOES heal. The man was healed by FAITH. He believed he could be healed. They told him to stand up and he stood up. He wasn't able to stand up before... so attempting to do it proved his belief.

sidebar: how many of us don't do things for no other reason than we've tried before and failed?

Once the man was healed... he let people know who healed him. Make no mistake... he didn't pretend to have been able to heal himself! He gave full credit to the one who had healed him. AND... he felt he needed to share his healing to encourage others.

There are times my posts come across as so whiny. I know this. I know that there are times I fail to move forward because I don't accept the promise from God to heal me. I'm not healed yet... why should I believe I can be healed? And there are things that I have been healed from that I need to acknowledge. To some degree I have to share my story so that I can encourage others.

I'm rushing through this... I hope that this passage hits home with someone!

One last thought... many of you acknowledge Jesus Christ as a Savior... understand that He is your path to Heaven. How many of us acknowledge him also as Lord?

More on that later... must glam and dash... love and hugs!

6 comments:

Tina of Moon Shine said...

I think you are entitled to some whining every now and then. God knows your pain and really, aren't you just "writing out loud" your issues, which then lead you back to the Lord?

and I am looking forward to more of accepting Jesus as Lord. Honestly, this wasn't something I have thought about. I have thought that if you accept him as your savior, you are also accepting him as Lord.

Heather said...

I always thought the same thing too but yesterday it just really smacked me upside the head... I've been allowing Him to "save me"... fix everything, provide for me, heal me, etc... but I haven't really given Him control of the whole kit and kaboodle yet. I'm still doing what I want in a lot of situations instead of doing what I know God wants me to do. I'm painfully aware that my relationship with Michael started from a place of sin... that it was formed without God's guidance and that I continued to pursue a relationship with Michael even when it became clear to me and everyone else in my life that it was not the right situation for me. I had one foot out the door to leave him and allowed Michael to drag me back in even though I knew it could not POSSIBLY succeed.
So... I've got to make sure that I am not just asking God - but also that I'm following his guidance.

love ya girlie!
heather

sober white women said...

He has healed me. I am going to write about this... soon.
Kelli

Jim Gant said...

There is a difference between Jesus as Savior and Jesus as Lord. Lordship means forfeiting control - handing control of one's life to God and letting Him decide who, what, when, where and how. Want to do something interesting...look at the salutations in the Letters from Paul and Peter and see how often they refer to themselves as "bond servants". In making this statement, they are acknowledging that God is their master and they are His slave. Someone once said that in reality we trade one form of slavery - slavery to sin - for another - "slavery" to God. And that's okay because my Master is responsible for me... (see finances, health, mental wellbeing, etc.). And as a believer, I have the best of Masters.

Pop

Peaceful Epiphany said...

Hey Heather,
Thanks or thinkng of me and sending me healing vibes. Yes, this surgery has been a lot more invasive than anticipated and therefore a lot slower in the healing department.

I know that the power of prayer and the power of thought has a very LARGE and powerful part in how my recovery process goes.

I know that negative thinking breeds negative emotions and brings negative things to occur in my life as I heal. Such as pain, infection, swelling, and any depression, anxiety or added stress.

I truly believe that there is a big difference between emotional pain and physical pain and taking the xanax for my PHYSICAL pain is much different than taking it for any emotioanl pain. Yes, taking the xanax makes me sleep through the pain...but with physical pain, when you wake up from the xanax sleep, more often than not, the pain is actually GONE. Unfortunately, like you said, you can't sleep away emotional pain. It's still there when you wake up.

The big difference with emotional and physical pain is that with emotional pain, pain pills (or xanax) don't help. Only YOU can help make THAT type of pain go away by digging deep within yourself for the answers.

The answers are within you: the answers you seek, the direction you want, and the power to be whoever you want to be.

Your dreams are not yours by mere whim. They've been meticulously matched to the gifts you're now developing. Designed to lure you within, where your true power lies, and then out into the world, beyond imagined limitations and fears. Those fears which cannot be numbed by xanax. ;)

Trust yourself. Listen to your heart. You have the right stuff, you know what to do, and it can all be yours.

Hey...I think I just wrote my 2009 Journal Entry. ROFL.

Fear Not Heather...you have come a long way...without that xanax.

LYN said...

guess what?? I dug out my bible...

it's a start!