My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Sunday, April 11, 2010

my no-lettuce salad

I was feeling creative this weekend and really craving fresh produce so I came up with this little recipe. Thought you might like to try it! Austin said it's a "no lettuce salad" so that's the official name. I don't measure stuff... so you can alter to suit your taste.

radishes- sliced super thin (I used the vegetable peeler)
jicama - sliced the same way
cilantro - I love it so I used a bunch. Literally, a whole bunch. .
watercress - any soft green would work
diced yellow onion
chopped scallions
diced jalapenos
diced seeded cucumber
diced seeded tomato (I seeded the cucumber and tomato so they weren't so soggy)
diced anaheim pepper

I tossed all of this together with some lime salt and apple cider vinegar. Lime juice would have worked just as well. It's sort of a mexican flavor.

It makes almost a slaw type salad... I thought it would be great with croutons and I didn't have any but I did have some stale bread.... so I made my own croutons. I just took bread and cubed it, tossed it in a little olive and canola oil, seasoned it with parmesan, garlic powder and pepper, baked it in a 300 degree oven for about 45 minutes.

I served the salad over the croutons so they could soak up the good vinegary flavor. Good stuff!

3 comments:

Bookncoffee said...

Sounds good. I played around making pasta salads today with three colors of bell peppers. Ranch based was my favorite. But we mix a lot of veggies with vinegar and oil. Balsamic vinegar rocks too.
Just sent you an invite on facebook.

JennBand08 said...

sounds delish! I am going to try that.. or something similar.. I have a cuke I need to use up.

moshell's lilbit of space said...

SOUNDS YUMMY Heather :)