My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Thursday, April 15, 2010

my thankful thursday post - I'm trying, I really am

Only a teenager would be nasty to his parent for consequences of his own disobedience.
Mom: "Austin, don't forget to put your clothes in the dryer. Do I need to remind you?"
Austin: (aggravated) "NO! I know! You don't have to keep telling me! I know what to do!"
fast forward 12 hours
Austin: "Did you have to put ALL of my clothes in the washer? Now I don't have anything to wear."
Mom: "Didn't you put them in the dryer last night?"
Austin: "I forgot. I didn't know you did all of my laundry."

You're welcome. Butthead.

And the reason he has to put his own clothes in the dryer? I can't breathe. I really can't breathe when I bend over. He knows this because he very solicitously assisted me in loading the dirty laundry into the washing machine. Good times.

Oh yeah. I was working on a Thankful Thursday post.
I'm thankful that my kid has clothes, even if they're wet - and now soured.
I'm thankful that we have a washer and a dryer in our home.
I'm thankful that we have running water and detergent.
I'm thankful that he is in school.
I'm thankful that he lives at home still and is (sorta) helpful.
I'm thankful that I have a computer to post a cyber complaint about teenage behavior.
I'm thankful that I know how to type, that I woke up early enough to post, that although I'm uncomfortable, I'm still functioning.
I'm thankful that I've been able to sleep this week because I've really needed the extra rest.
I'm thankful that Big Mike didn't get eliminated from American Idol last night.
I'm thankful that I finished and filed my tax return yesterday. (more about taxes later)
I'm thankful that I'm no longer married to a tax evader because eventually, those years of unpaid taxes are going to catch up with him.
I'm thankful for the beautiful, colorful, fragrant spring we're having.

Ok... I'll leave you with something to think about... it's a good example of what's wrong with the American tax system. I had about $350 withheld for federal taxes last year. Yes. That's it. My REFUND (yes, refund) amount was $1932. Instead of paying taxes, the government gave me a handout of $1600. Now, due to some *errors* on the only tax return I allowed Michael to have any involvement in... I have a past due tax liability that I've been paying on... and will actually get back probably nothing or, if anything, enough for a good grocery run. But even so... I can't understand a tax system that redistributes wealth. That $1600 was money that someone else earned and I have no right to it. It's not mine. I did nothing to earn it. It's not Random Joe Taxpayer's fault that I didn't go to college, that I made bad choices in marriages that ultimately landed me in a position where my annual income is significantly less than Mr. Taxpayers. And my skewed refund is a smaller percentage than people who have more children or make less money than I do. So people who screwed up worse than I did, get a whole lot more of Joe Taxpayer's money. I just don't think it's right.

Gotta glam and get to work. Love and hugs, y'all.

3 comments:

Estela said...

I am in complete agreement with you. Both about teens and their selective memory AND the tax handout that certain folks get. Now mind you, I have no problem with people getting what they paid in back because it really could help them more than the government. but I have serious problems with the "tax credits" that seriously inflate the refund. No wonder our country is in so much debt.

Linda said...

That's an Earned Income Credit. It's designed to help single people with children -- who work, but don't earn what the government considers to be "enough." It's a way to make life a bit easier for a single parent. I have no problem with the concept; it's just that I know too many recipients who immediately blow it on stupid stuff. But it could be a godsend for you if you actually get it. And I hope you do. - Linda

Lainey Laine said...

Oh where would we be without our teens! xxxx