My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Friday, October 10, 2008

Austin's bus


Austin's bus driver's name is Ann Satterfield, ironically the same name as my friend A.T. - Anne is her grown up name but to me she is A.T.
We can't figure this bus thing out. I was told at the school that his bus will pick him up at 7:13 but that the driver wants them out there at 7:10. Yesterday he went out at 7:05 and saw her drive away. Today he went out at 7:00 and came in at 7:25 without her having come. As we were getting in the car to take him to school... she came... at 7:31.
We were told that his drop off in the afternoon would be at 4:05. On Wednesday he got home at 4:30 - he didn't recognize his stop (to be fair, she came a different way that we didn't even know existed). She had to circle back around and bring him home. Yesterday he got home at 3:30. It's not like he's 5 and I have to be waiting for him... but I've tried to plan my work schedule around when he's in school so knowing how long he's actually in school would have helped.
At any rate... I felt much better when I dropped him off at the school and the teacher monitoring the carpool lane greeted him by name. After only two days there, that's pretty good. I know that he's not just a number. I also know that he's not going to get away with nothing!
I heard from my stepson this morning. You know, in my heart they are all still family to me. I've adopted a dozen or so kids over the years... Josh, the boys' best friend, being one of them. Stephen and Bobby will always be mine to some degree. I want to always be able to keep in touch with them - even though they're both far away.
I'm feeling like a shower and a little small town breakfast at the little cafe on the corner. I drove by and there was a sign for ham biscuits. I know it's not Weight Watchers friendly but a good homemade biscuit is exactly the kind of fuel I need today after staying up late on the phone and getting woke up early by the cat.
Someone asked yesterday what we still need and honestly, it's not that bad. I'm hoping to be able to get bath mats and some linens from the condo this weekend... a tv... the stuff I had in the pantry.... my coffee mugs... and really all that will be left for us is to get beds for our rooms (and maybe a dresser or two) and a kitchen table (even if it's just a little card table or something) and I need a bookshelf. I'm crossing my fingers that we'll be able to keep the phones just a wee bit longer... it sounded like a possibility last night. My biggest concern is finding my digital camera charger... or finding one to purchase... because there are soooo many things I want to capture on "film" (or in pixels?) to share around here.
Austin is out of school Monday and Tuesday and I plan to use those days to be tourists and really let him experience this area. I'd like to be able to take pictures...
Ok... time for that shower....

5 comments:

Traci said...

What's the deal with the bus driver?!

Myra said...

Maybe the bus driver, being in a small town, has her watch set on "small town" time! Since everyone knows everyone, its not a big deal to anyone...except you! Understandably, you need a time and it should be adhered to!

Emmi said...

I'd be spittin mad if I couldn't depend on a time for the bus to arrive or drop off.

sober white women said...

I am glad that I found you again! Please stop by and I will put the kettle on for us!
Kelli

Happy Being Me said...

I live in a small town and had that happen to my son and I many of times when he was just 5. I started taking him to school to reduce the stress and frustrations. Take care,
Katie