My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Sunday, October 19, 2008

love & indifference

Before I forget, I want to share what our sermon was about today... it was about how the opposite of LOVE is not hate, but indifference. Love and hate are both emotions driven out of strong feelings... but indifference is a lack of feeling. I TOTALLY related to that!

Our scripture was Matthew 25:31-46 - subtitled, "The sheep and the goats". I've included it here for your easy reference, should you like to read it. *wink* Basically it divides mankind into two groups: those who have compassion on those in need and those who don't. I found it particularly poignant considering what we have been through and I'll be honest... bed or no bed... we have been so richly blessed. Even yesterday I received a check to help with our expenses from... are you ready for this??? ... a soldier in Iraq!!! I am just amazed at how our needs are being met... it's quite an exciting adventure, to be honest... and although there are times that I shed a few tears in fear... for the most part I just feel so honored and humbled to be in this place - not geographically but spiritually.

At the end of the service, at the altar call, we were asked to complete a card that either listed our needs or our availability to help or both. I listed both. Under needs I listed BEDS! HA! But I also noted that I need some help with my car payment as it is behind... and I've got to resolve that soon. It could come from a successful sale at work and the commission that supplies... or the kids' dad getting caught up on child support... or, who knows? I'm learning to just be patient and watchful.

Sunday school was also awesome as we talked about how people get their perception of Christ by what Christians do... and whether or not we're modeling a Christ that anyone would want to know. Heavy, right?

After church we went to our favorite little outdoor barbeque stand with Jim and Angie and the girls. The weather was perfect and the girls were precious in their little dresses that Mawmaw made for them. I love the routine that we are assuming... Sarabeth always eats my garlic bread and Jamie likes to share our fries... they're my portion controllers!

After lunch Austin, Sarabeth and myself rode to the north end of Helen to go to Fred's Peanut Shack. Of course, my little social butterfly niece was immediately recognized by those working there and they had to find out who was out peanut shopping with SB. I have been taking my boys to this peanut place their whole lives... leave it to Sarabeth to know the owner and workers! Let me remind you, she is six! We got boiled peanuts and drove back through town with the other tourists enjoying the weather and scenery and our peanuts! Jim and Angie were back at the church for youth choir rehearsal so we dropped off Sarabeth and came on home.

My friend Amy that I used to work with is up here in Cleveland to visit her granny. She is planning to come by this afternoon... and then I have to take Austin to bible drill at 5pm... I have bible study at 6... Austin goes to the corn maze at 7:15 and I'll have to pick him up at 9:45. It's a long day but it's good to be involved and to enjoy our community and church and family.

The pain is gone. Maybe it was just a rumbling in my tummy... I'm going to take a power nap before Amy and her boys get here. *hugs*



Matthew 25:31-46 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
The Sheep and the Goats
31"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. 32All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.
34"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'
37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'
40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'
41"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.'
44"They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?'
45"He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'
46"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

6 comments:

mawmaw said...

Did the dresses fit?

Beth said...

Ohhhh man...I haven't had boiled peanuts since my folks had a place in Georgia. Yumm!

Is that little fudge shop still there in Helen? Whenever we went there, I had to get some of their fudge...I loved it all!

Glad you had a good day--I hope your week is wonderful, too!

Hugs, Beth

betty said...

I just wrote a nice long comment and it wouldn't post; I guess the enemy didn't want my words to go through, but I'm trying it again

I think that was an awesome service; I hadn't thought of that passage in that way, but it does make sense! and then I think your Sunday School discussion was also good too! Unfortunately so many people who call themselves Christians (and I'm not talking about you/your church) model a different Jesus than who Jesus really is. They mode a critical, judgmental, hypocritical one and not the Jesus I know and love (he does judge, but his justice is always fair). Good reminder for me to make sure I'm modeling who the Lord truly is

I have every confidence in the Lord that he will meet every single one of your needs in his perfect timing; his Word says he will and one thing I know about the Lord is he keeps his promises! You'll be amazed at what he will do in your life and how your needs will be met

betty

Myra said...

What a perfect Sunday...church, family, and friends! What a way to start a week!

Estela said...

Thanks for sharing the verses... I forwarded them to a friend that I think will get something out of it. Glad you had such a nice weekend. oh.. and I finally had some boiled peanuts while visiting Savannah during the summer. I have to say, they are not my cup of tea. LOL.. but at least I can say I tried them.

Peaceful Epiphany said...

Before I forget, I wanted to let you know that the MOM in DIARY OF A DYING MOM died on October 11th. So sad.....http://diaryofadyingmom.blogspot.com/

I know you followed that blog....