My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

my small town attitude




I've been discovering lots of new blogs on blogger and it feels like the early Jland days for me. *sigh* So nice to be sharing in the experiences of people all over.




I've decided that if everyone had a small town attitude, the world would be a better place. It really warms my heart to feel the kindness and friendliness everywhere I go... whether it's at the school to register Austin or at the Rite Aid dropping off a prescription. There are no walls here... people don't have that distant "I don't know you and I don't want to know you" perspective. Everyone... everywhere... just smiles and says hello and tries to make a connection of how they might know you or yours.




Austin is in school today. I worried. I stressed. I stayed to speak with the counselor after she walked him to his classes. I let her know a little of what he's been through. We discussed my plan for building community for both of us. She spoke really highly of our church and of Austin's prospects there. She's looking out for him. His science teacher is one of the girls in my Sunday night bible study. Continuity. Community. We both need it.




There is still so much I need to do but sitting here in my living room in my lawn chair with my feet propped up on a rubber maid container looking out at the rain seems like the best medicine for today. It's utterly amazing that in the whole time I've been here I've never once needed a xanax to relax. There are so many things I could be anxious about but I just feel so at peace... there's no anxiety.




If we all had a small town attitude, there might not be a need for prozac and welbutrin and lexapro and cymbalta and xanax and ambien...




Instead of spending money eating out and going to the movies and Dave & Busters... Austin is learning to appreciate the small town way of life. He is looking forward to making a ritz cracker pie tomorrow afternoon. http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1937,149169-244206,00.html (this recipe is close to the one I have but I don't use the dates and I put strawberries on top of the pie and THEN whipped cream!) He is looking forward to having dinner at church tonight.




This morning he gave me a little attitude. I know it was about being nervous about a new school and not meant as disrespect. I know that I'm his safe place... that he can get mad at me and know I'll still love him. I know that this is a huge adjustment for him. I also know that once he gets into the swing of things, he'll be happier here than anywhere he's ever lived. I am counting the hours until his bus gets here this afternoon.
Time to work on my bible study material for tonight. I'll probably post again. I just like it here!


10 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'm so glad you have such a good feeling about being where you are. I do hope that lasts for you and that your son makes the adjustment well. 'On Ya' - ma

Ericanbiloxi said...

I hope Austin has a great first day!
I know what you mean about the small towns....even though ours is growing every day and you can actually go to the Wal Mart and not run into anyone ya know. That is kinda scarry. lol
Have I told you how proud of you I am and how great it is to have HEATHER back?

Happy Being Me said...

I moved to a small town from Las Vegas and I love the feeling of comfort and closeness. Here's to hoping it won't be long before the two of you settle right in. Take care and enjoy your Everyday,
Katie

Anonymous said...

When Doug and I moved to a small town 21+ years ago, we were met with the same friendly, welcoming attitudes you just mentioned, but also - hey, wonder how long they'll last here . . . even some home town folks don't realize how good they've got it and are trying to escape to the big city. Well, we have absolutely loved it here in this small town and have loved raising our children here and I can't imagine living anywhere else. My kids love to be outside exploring the woods and taking care of animals and just enjoying all the the Lord has blessed us with. Yes, the Lord blesses folks who live in the city, but it is just so more visible out in the country. :)

Kelly Dawn said...

woman you better come "follow me"

Kelly

Anonymous said...

I Love your Page so cute!!!! maybe you can teach me how to get a different background lol I cant figure that out lol well it sounds like you and Austin are finding Peace... Iam in just uh at how far you have come so quick we all are rooting for you!!! Take care Kat:)

Sarah said...

Heather...I love reading your new journal. Girl..my second husband left me ON our first anniversary!! No joke!! October 22 will be the two year anniversary of our seperation..or you could say our 3 year anniversary. We are still not divorced. I am proud of your progress. I pray for you daily!

Beth said...

Heather, I hope Austin had a great first day!

I've found that a "small town attitude" can be found anywhere. Sometimes it depends on the attitude you put forth. We've encountered people in Philadelphia, New Orleans, New York City, and plenty of other places, who were happy to respond to a smile and a kind word. In fact, I'd say that a small town attitude comes from within!

Hugs, Beth

Chris/cacklinrosie101 said...

Wow, I was just reading your history. What a darned nightmare that was....just a nightmare. I'm so thankful you are starting a new life with a new attitude away from the nasty one. Bless you and your family....HUGS (BTW: I also thought blogger was sort of like a fresh start for JLand.)

Tina of Moon Shine said...

well, i live in a town just like that, but, I still have anxiety. I feel it is because I need to move away to ANOTHER small town...lol. but I also do not have the church in my life like you do so that may be a whole lot of it!

enjoy your day
tina