My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Sunday, October 17, 2010

new answer to potato soup...

It's not potato soup but it's warm, tasty and creamy... and soooo healthy!

Here's what I did:

sauteed 1 red onion (chopped) and 1 cup of hot red pepper rings in a tablespoon of olive oil...
I added two large cubed sweet potatoes - one was orange and one was yellow - gorgeous!
I added two cups of chopped carrots...
I added two cups of fat free chicken broth and one can of pureed pumpkin. Yes, pumpkin. Stay with me...
to that... I added two diced turnips...
cumin, nutmeg, cinnamon and turmeric... all very healthy and helpful spices...
I added a teaspoon of tahini (sesame paste)... a little sea salt...
two cups each of chopped collard greens and turnip greens...

and it's all happily bubbling away on my stove. I've had a sneak taste and it's a really thick, rich, hearty stew. It calculates out to about 2 weight watchers points per cup so it's filling and low point.

Man... I think I'm going to have as much fun making soups and stews this winter as I had making salads this summer! Cooking is cool!

0 comments: