My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

whiny wednesday - it's all about attitude

It's all about attitude, isn't it? I mean... no matter how grim your circumstances... no matter how long the journey... no matter how complex the problem... the right attitude makes a huge difference.



I've often mentioned that I'm an "fan of fans". I love observing passionate people. I love being around people who are excited about what they're doing or where they're going. This is one reason I love airports... people are reuniting with loved ones or going on fabulous trips or maybe just going to work. But they're going. I love watching sports because of the passionate fans and their enthusiasm for the game. I love being behind the scenes at the theatre because people who work in theatre are a breed apart... they have such a love for creating a visual story for others to see.



Conversely, I avoid negative people. My weekly Whiny Wednesday posts are pretty much tongue in cheek. I complain... I whine... but it's mostly frivilous stuff and it's rarely a true grump. Honestly, the things that hit me the deepest, the things that I might really whine about are the things that I tuck under my wings and just keep to myself or to a few trusted confidants. I think it's appropriate to fight for truth, justice and the American way and I think it's appropriate to call a spade a spade... but I don't think anyone likes to be around people who are all gloom and doom and Chicken Little-ish "the sky is falling".



What I'm trying to say is that so much in life is about perspective. We tend to attract and be attracted to like minded people in similar situations. So if your outlook is negative, pessimistic, downtrodden, victimized, victimIZING... this is what you'll find yourself in the midst of. And if your perspective is optimistic, hopeful... if you believe beyond your circumstances... if you embrace life and look on the bright side, you will soon find yourself surrounded and supported by like-spirited people.



Everything in life seems to be about hope. I could assess my circumstances, my lack of resources, my less than perfect health and my singleness and on any given day I could go thru life really depressed and discouraged. I could JUSTIFY feeling that way. The thing is... I don't want to live that way. I want to live a life of hope... expectation... I want to live above my circumstances... I want to be an inspiration to others and I hope that my transparency in sharing the shortcomings and disappointments in my life helps you realize that it's possible to live beyond the boundaries of what you can see. I try to celebrate the flavors, colors, joys, delights... that I believe can exist in anyone's life.



The darker the circumstances... the brighter the light will seem in comparison... if you'll just turn toward it.... and the more obvious it will be.



Now... having said all of that...

1. My weight is up and I don't know why. I've been on plan all week. dang it.

2. I still have a lingering headache. I've had a headache every day for more than a week now.

3. We just changed the litter box last night and the cats saw that as a challenge. It already stinks.

4. I cooked orzo last night and it was awesome but now I have little bits of orzo stuck to my pot, my strainer, the measuring cup I used... what the heck? I picked at it last night for a half hour and got frustrated and gave up.

5. I fell asleep before the end of Teen Mom last night and I wanted to see the whole Dr. Drew interview.

6. It's rainy... which no doubt will mean a bad hair day.

7. I stepped on a piece of glass this morning. Not sure where it came from.

8. It's only Wednesday.





Ok... that's all I've got. Truly, life is good. I continue to believe that life - my life, even! - is a gift and that although it's not the life I thought I would have, it's

4 comments:

Jeanne said...

I TOTALLY, TOTALLY, TOTALLY agree with you! I try to stay away from the negative people too. It's just not HEALTHY!! That being said, if you have beeen taking meds for your headache, I have been told that they can take your weight up a notch! Do you have a neti pot?

Laurie said...

Stay positive Heather! You are doing so great! I love hearing about your cooking and meals. I wish I liked tomatoes or onions because I'd try a bunch of your stuff.

mawmaw said...

Thank you Heather, I really needed this post. Love ya

Becky said...

Beautiful post. : )