My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Saturday, January 8, 2011

quinoa bean salad

This is what I made yesterday and it was so good that I had it for lunch AND dinner...

I'll post a picture later... don't want to get out from under the blankets yet...

1. Cook 1 cup of quinoa - I used my rice cooker
2. very thinly slice two cups of yellow squash - I imagine zucchini would work as well
3. drain and rinse two cups of black beans
4. dice half a purple (red) onion
5. combine squash, black beans, 1 cup of mung beans (or edamame or kidney beans or whatever you have on hand. I had mung beans.) and onions
6. sprinkle with 1 teaspoon (or more) of cumin
7. add 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
8. add 1/4 cup olive oil
9. mix all of this together...
10. add cooked quinoa and stir together well

Notes: This would be great with cilantro - I didn't have any. I think it would also be good with diced peppers. A little cumin goes a long way so start with a small amount and add more. I used sea salt to season my quinoa before I added but cumin has a salty taste too so you may not need added salt. I think sprouted mung beans would be a good addition but I just used plain cooked mung beans. If you haven't bought a rice cooker yet - get one. It makes cooking quinoa SOOOO easy. This is five weight watchers plus points per cup. It makes about 8 cups. Would be excellent served over spinach...

1 comments:

Sarah said...

Okay this sounds fantastic and I was trying to think of ways to use up my quinoa that I had bought. I will so try this.