My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Monday, January 17, 2011

reasons to love blue Monday

Today is what is considered "Blue Monday"... the most depressing day of the year... apparently, it's the perfect combination of winter fatigue, distance from the holidays, realization of the impacts of the overspending from the holidays, realization that there are four more months until the next day off due to a holiday, distance to summer, etc...

So with THAT in mind... I'm going to do my best to find reasons to love Monday....

1. I went to bed with a nasty sinus headache. I've had them off and on for the past week or two. I don't remember. I just know that last night was a doozy. I woke up this morning with the headache ALMOST gone... progress...

2. I worked out both Saturday and Sunday so I don't have any "gosh, I can't believe I didn't exercise AT ALL this weekend" guilt.

3. I was very conservative with my money over Christmas. Some people didn't get anything from me. I didn't use my bill money for presents. I didn't put anything on a credit card... therefore... although money is tight right now because of the aforementioned three short paychecks in a row... at least I'm not facing big credit card bills. Gotta love that!

4. Gas in Georgia is averaging $3.02 a gallon. My car gets greeeeeat gas mileage. I love that! I am still impacted but less often and in a smaller way.

5. Austin had a totally cooperative day yesterday... no outbursts... offering to help... was almost downright pleasant.

6. I'm feeling very back on track with my weight loss. I believe this week is going to be the week I bust through the plateau. I'm looking forward to getting smaller, feeling better, being stronger, living longer...

7. I still have money left on one of the starbucks gift cards I got for Christmas... I am seeing a stop near the big green circle in my future. I think that might be the best way to break thru Blue Monday.

8. I would be remiss on MLK day if I didn't mention civil rights. It blows my mind to think there was a time when my beautiful niece and nephews would have been treated differently because of the color of their skin... to think that my beloved Bear couldnt' go where I go, do what I do, or have all the rights and priviledges that I do... only because of the color of his skin. Whatever else we've done wrong as a nation... no matter how far we still have to go in treating people the same despite their race, creed, national origin, sexual orientation, sex, weight, etc... I'm glad that we're not where we were.

9. It looks like we'll have mild weather all week. There is still snow on the ground... my backyard has a big patch still... that NEVER happens in Georgia, snow never lingers for a week past the weather event. It's bizarre... and old wives tales tell us that means another snow event is ON THE WAY this winter... but not this week. I need a full paycheck this go around and a little commission would be nice as well. I'm looking forward to a five day work week and some continuity and normalcy in my life.

10. No phone marathon last night... "not tonight dear, I have a headache"... but it's nice having a new (old) friend who understands where I've been. Kindred spirits, in a way. We've both had our share of shortfalls and shortcomings and hard knocks so I don't have to be embarassed with him about the mistakes I've made.

Time is fleeting and it's my early day at the office... staff meeting... good times... it's the third day on my hair so the full glam routine is required today. A long week stretches ahead of me and I intend to make it a good one... I want to be able to come here on Saturday morning knowing that I'm going to reap the rewards of my hard work and determination... Wherever you are, whatever you're doing this week... make it a good one... and when we come back to this topic NEXT Monday, we'll have even more reasons to love Monday.
*hugs*

0 comments: