My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

random wednesday

I leave work early on Wednesdays so that Austin and I can go to the family dinners at church. It's my time to get in a little extra parenting. Tonight we're not going to church because I need to take the decongestant to try to get the pressure in my eardrum relieved... but I'm still getting some extra parenting time in... in the form of making this kid do his chores that he's been slacking on all week!

Seriously... Austin has been really sweet to me while I've been feeling icky. He made me a hamburger for dinner last night, otherwise I wouldn't have eaten. It was actually pretty good...

Cody started school today. He's going to become a licensed massage therapist. He goes to this training school for nine months or a year or something like that. He got his books and his scrubs today... can't wait to see that! I sent Barry a text this morning that said, "your boy is in school now, aren't you proud?" and he wrote back, "yes. very!". Cody has always been "his" kid. Cody's email address uses Barry's last name... they're tight.

I'm proud of all my boys right now... Ryan's working in PA... Cody's in school... Austin's adjusted so well up here. I took Austin's remote control away so he's working hard to finish his chores.

I got the Good Housekeeping magazine in the mail today... it's a red letter day, y'all! You know I lead an exciting life when a new magazine is noteworthy!

Today's epiphany was about blame. I was thinking about how some people always need to blame others for the stuff that happens to them... and how much that limits us. You know... if you can't take responsibility for something, then you have no power to correct it. Obviously... there are going to be things that happen to us that we have no control over... I think about people who are victims of violent crimes and so forth... but for just about every circumstance of our life we have an opportunity to take some corrective action for improvement.

Gonna take a big old chill pill... both ears hurt now... *hugs*

5 comments:

cw2smom said...

Wow! What benefits you'll have with a kid that's a massage therapist! I'd love that! He sounds like a great kid! I am sorry that you are still having issues with your ears! Dang that is taking awhile to get better, isn't it! Hang in there! Lisa

Beth said...

Please feel better soon, Heather! Don't forget--if you're still having problems, ask your doc to do a culture. It sounds to me like you've got a resistant strain of bacteria, and the best way to get the proper antibiotic is to do a culture and sensitivity.

I'm with you on the victim thing. Absolutely, there are innocent victims of things that are beyond control...but I'm thinking of those people who never accept that they might be part of the problem, and believe that everything has been done TO them rather than BY them. Ugh, makes me crazy.

Get some rest tonight!
Hugs, Beth

Tina of Moon Shine said...

glad to hear Cody is pursuing a craft. If I had the money for a massage, I would be having on once a week1

I do hope that decongestant kicks in. I really believe you have some sort of system wide infection. I would ask them to check that.....
take care
tina

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I hope you are feeling better soon!

Big Mark 243 said...

Hope you are feeling better ... cool that Austin made you dinner! I can only imagine what he was feeling making his simple meal for his Mom.

Sounds like your boys are on their way. You try to take care of yourself.