My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

wednesday morning

Someone was murdered on the church grounds of the First Baptist Church of Red Oak in East Point, Georgia. That's the church we attended from when I was a toddler until I was in sixth grade. It's the church where my brother and I were baptized some 33 years ago. And someone was killed there last night during a drug deal.

I didn't sleep well last night. It was a restless sleep. As soon as the pain meds wore off, I woke up and I tossed and turned the rest of the night. I'm sleepy today. I just want to stay in bed and sleep the rest of the day. I won't. I'll go to work. I get off at 4pm today. Austin only has school for half a day today... half a day tomorrow... and then he's off for the Christmas break.

I overheard Austin leaving a message for his dad last night. "Dad. I have Christmas break coming up. I really want to see you. Call me back". My kids always sought a relationship with their dad. They've been the ones to keep the connection. It's sad in a way... but I'm proud that my kids make that extra effort. I don't know that I want Austin to go.... I'd be lonely without him. But I won't keep him from going if they can work it out.

In ten hours I'll be back home. I can do this. Yesterday I had an email from a friend who is struggling with a heartbreaking situation. He wants to just give up... walk away... I know that feeling of hopelessness. I've given up before. I don't have all the answers, I can only tell you what works for me. For me, when I had nowhere else to go, I went to God.

I know that it's hard for people to turn to God. I know that there's this whole stigma about religion... I've even heard, "I'm not ready for all that religion stuff". God is not interested in religions. He's interested in relationships. It's as simple as a wish... as easy as opening your Bible (or going to www.biblegateway.com). It's as easy as asking. God waits patiently for us to turn to Him and then when we do, He hears our cries for help. I'm praying for you, my dear friend... your pain is seared into my heart and I will continue to bring you before the throne of God until you feel strong again.

I mentioned studying Psalms yesterday. Here are a few of the verses that got underlined in my Bible as I was reading:

Psalm 3:5 I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me

Psalm 6:9 The LORD has heard my cry for mercy; the LORD accepts my prayer

Psalm 9:9 The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble

Psalm 10:17 You hear, O LORD, the desire of the afflicted; you encourage them, and you listen to their cry

Psalm 17:3 Though you probe my heart and examine me at night, though you test me, you will find nothing; I have resolved that my mouth will not sin.

Psalm 18:16 He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters

Psalm 20:4 May he give you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed.

Psalm 29:11 The LORD gives strength to his people; the LORD blesses his people with peace

We bow down we lay our crowns at the feet of Jesus... the greatness of his mercy and love at the feet of Jesus and we cry Holy, Holy, Holy... we cry Holy, Holy, Holy, we cry Holy, Holy, Holy is the lamb...

Everything I have is because of the mercy of God. God is good. Have a wonderful day, y'all! *love and hugs*




7 comments:

Myra said...

Amen, sister! I can always find words of wisdom and the power of His love in your entries. Have a great day!

sober white women said...

There is power in the blood. Soon you will be home and be able to crawl back into bed.
Kelli

Sage Ravenwood said...

My daughter tried for years to keep the line of communication open with her dad, even to the point of choosing to move in with him and his new wife...years later it's still her effort and her dad, I won't say what I really think of how he reacts to her.

Sorry to hear about the man who died at the church your remember so fondly. Hope your feeling better dear one. (Hugs)Indigo

Kelly Dawn said...

you left off my favorite...

Psalms 34:4 I sought the lord and he heard me and answered my prayers....

This is what is on my baby brothers headstone...

Kelly

Tina of Moon Shine said...

I have noticed that it isn't mentioned much about austin going to his dad's... that is a shame.
I am going to check out that website. take care
tina

Sweetnessk71 said...

Hiya.. sorry that you had a bad nights sleep. I hope tonight brings you sweet dreams :). Take care

Kris

Big Mark 243 said...

I read your post ... another look into you and your life view.

Too bad you aren't around ... I'd have you for lunch! Try to add some cheer to your day!