My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Saturday, December 6, 2008

some good stuff

Austin is in 7th heaven... his best cousin, Devin, is here to spend the night. They are so loud... but they are truly two peas in a pod! They are playing video games and have turned my living room into a dorm... complete with mattress on the floor. Usually I stress over the noise and the mess but I've decided to just embrace and enjoy it. All too soon it's gone.

We had a nice shopping trip today, Austin and I. He really doesn't mind shopping with mom. At least... if he does, he doesn't complain. We have to go to Gainesville to find any major shopping places... things like Target and Best Buy. We bought some necessities and a few Christmas gifts.

In Sunday School last week, Kat, our teacher, referenced Oswald Chamber's book, "My Utmost for His Highest". To be honest, I don't know much about this book. It is reported to be the most commonly read devotional book outside of the Bible. It has been continuously in print since 1935. Anything lasting... I'm interested in... whether it's classic literature or devotional material. I found the book today - a beautiful hardback edition - marked down to 2.97! There was only one (I wanted to buy it to give as gifts!) so I imagined it was meant for me. Here's a link if you want to find out more about it. http://www.rbc.org/index.aspx

I'm watching the Billy Graham Christmas Special. Billy Graham always makes me think of my grandmother. She loved to watch Billy Graham whenever he was on tv! I didn't realize that George Beverly Shea, who always sang at the Billy Graham crusades is still alive and 99 years old!

Have I mentioned yet that my Florida Gators won the SEC Championship and are poised to win the National Championship uh-gain! I had so much fun watching the game. I think Tim Tebow is one of the greatest college football players of our time. He's just such as class act.

I just had a great cup of hot chocolate with whipped cream.

As much as Stubby the three legged wondercat gets on my nerves, I love to watch cats wash their faces... you know how they lick their front paw and then rub their face? It's so human looking. Stubby is still sticking close to me. He won't let me so much as an inch from him. He may be scared of the noisy boys in the living room.

My friend Matt has written a beautiful devotional book titled "Good Hope". I have so greatly enjoyed reading these little essays, written by him and I would love for you to check it out for yourself. You can buy his book at www.lulu.com search for Matthew McCord, Good Hope. If you're looking for a gift for a Pastor or Sunday School teacher or anyone who needs a word of encouragement, buy this book! Matt is a very dear person in my life. I know you'll appreciate getting to know him just a little bit through his book.

My cousin Christie had a baby boy today. His name is William Cole. He weighed 5 lbs and 7 ounces. Tiny! It's her first baby. Our family just keeps growing!

I've had some great emails today from some special people in my life. I have to tell you, last night was a battle for me but I never felt alone. Throughout the day today I've had so many people who just randomly crossed my path. It's a great reminder. I wish I had internet consistently while I was living in Jacksonville, I wish I could have been tapped into the same worldwide community that I am able to access now. The extra money we spent on the internet connection would have saved the money it cost for me to recover, relocate and rebuild.

I'm accepting the fact that there was a reason for that time in the wilderness. There was a reason that I had to feel that sense of loneliness and isolation. I know that there will be a day that I will look back and acknowledge that the life I live then... will be blessed by the lessons I am learning now. I am trying to be open, aware, teachable, yielded...

The odd thing is that as strong as my desire is to be loved and cherished and appreciated... today someone pretty special expressed those sort of feelings and I threw up a roadblock and said, "whoa... not yet... don't love me yet... I'm not ready". I know that I am not capable of being what I need to be in a relationship. I know that it will take time to heal. I know that I will always have some baggage from the past few years, there are some wounds that have cut too deep to completely disappear. But I hope that the baggage comes in the form of wisdom and patience and compassion... and all the things that make us better partners.

I just wanted to share some good stuff with you. Love and hugs, y'all!



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed watching the game with you . . . even though Alabama lost . . . sigh . . . but I do like Tim Tebow, too. He's a Christian and it shows.

Myra said...

Nice to hear the positive vibrations! Sometimes all it takes is a cross word, look or statement to throw us for a loop, but knowing that "this too shall pass" is truly a blessing!

Remo said...

Never overlook the simple fun of a couple kids having a sleepover. How many little things like that from our childhood do we all remember as something special? Ten years from now you might hear "Mom? Do you remember when...?

Have a special week!

bgiannamore said...

Heather, I hope you know just how much I draw from your blogs. I am still in the isolation and wilderness and am not sure how or when I will be out of it. I am thinking at this point, life here on earth is hell. I am ready to throw in the towel. You know the passage in the bible.. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race..I think my race is over.