My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

I couldn't have said it better myself!

Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you punish him with the rod, he will not die. Punish him with the rod and save his soul from death. Proverbs 23:13-14

Our Pastor's daughter, Abbie ("A-B-B-I-E, not A-b-b-y" she says) is 14 years old and has down's syndrome. She eats dinner with us on Wednesday nights and I so thoroughly enjoy her - I can't even begin to tell you! Tonight we were collectively discussing Austin's unapproved absence from school and I made the offhand comment that I was going to "beat" Austin. About ten minutes passed when Abbie asked, "You're not really going to spank Austin, are you?" Bless her sweet, kind heart. I said, "Don't you think I should?" and she laughed.

When words are man, sin is not absent. Proverbs 10:19

My Wednesday night bible study is a Beth Moore study on Believing God. The five principles are: God is who He says He is, God can do what He says He can do, I am who God says I am, I can do all things through Christ and God's Word is active in me. Tonight we talked about sinning with our words. Oh me! If there ever was a girl who said too much, that is me! Trust me when I tell you that I don't go a day without getting myself in trouble by what I say... and trust me when I tell you that I'm working on it...

We also talked about speaking the Word of God out loud and claiming it. I'm not a subscriber to the "name it and claim it" prosperity gospel. I don't believe that there's any great "Secret". God reveals His intentions for our lives in the Bible if we only take time to read it. We don't need anyone to interpret or rewrite the Bible for us. I DO believe that if we ask God, He hears us and meet our needs according to His riches in glory. I believe this because this is my truth... this is what has happened for me.

You want something but don't get it. You kill and covet, but you cannot have what you want. You quarrel and fight. You do not have because you do not ask God. When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with the wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures. James 4:2-3

Then you will call, and the Lord will answer; you will cry for help and he will say; Here am I. Isaiah 58:9

Without a doubt, there are frustrations and limitations in my life. I am healing but I am not healed. I am hurt and disappointed but I am no longer feeling the raw, devastation that I felt for so long. Remember me telling you I was supposed to go to a jewelry party on Tuesday to help raise money for our sweet friends at church, Jerry and Misti who are adopting a baby.... ? Tonight I placed an order for a simple sterling silver ring to replace my wedding band... it says, "HOPE".

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. Hebrews 11:1

This morning I mentioned being concerned that my paycheck wouldn't go far enough this time... I went into work and was able to get a young couple approved for a car loan. If they decide to go ahead with the loan, that adds $150 to my paycheck.... I'm praying for that decision... it's a good deal for them. I had another client call right after them and he is also considering refinancing TWO cars... it could be that none of these loans go through but it sure gave me hope and reminded me how easy it is to increase my income and was enough encouragement for me to get me through a day where I would have otherwise wanted to bail... I was so upset and frustrated by Austin not going to school. Normally I would have just been done for the day. Having hope gave me focus.

I'm just telling you that God is good, that He is very interested in our every day lives, that He can and will provide...

love and hugs!

4 comments:

Barbara said...

What a beautiful post, thanks for the encouragement.
Barbara

Sarah said...

My kids have an ongoing joke..they will do this randomly and wherever (not good in Wal Mart)..they will coward away from me with one hand over their face and say "Dont beat me Mamma"....it is a joke but I tell them all the time that they are going to get taken away. :)Sarah

sober white women said...

I think we all want to beat our children from time to time. Lord knows they need it.
Kelli

Margaret said...

I think there is a lot of power in the spoken word. After all, God spoke, and the earth was created. I like to take scripture that touches my situation and say it out loud. (of course, the written word is powerful, too, I know that.)
I'm glad to see you at peace.