My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Friday, November 21, 2008

a little whine

Well... my suspicions were correct... I do have a kidney infection. I am really feeling it tonight. I feel icky.

I like my new doctor - she's only three weeks away from giving birth - but she's sweet. I was able to discuss my entire recent medical history with her and we agreed to hold off on pain meds for the kidney infection, even though I'm somewhat uncomfortable. We also agreed to continue anti-depressants until she is back from maternity leave and then slowly taper off under close supervision. The idea is that in three months I'll be past the holidays and hopefully the divorce will be over and I'll be in a much better place.

So I'm on an antibiodic for the next seven days with orders to chill for the next few days. Of course, I went to work today... I don't have sick leave and I can't afford to miss work. I'll spend the next 36 hours in bed. Austin has his cousin here to keep him company. I never do well on antibiodics... they always make me throw up...

The last kidney infection ended up costing somewhere around $13,000 by the time I had been on two rounds of levaquin (at $25 per pill) and two days of rocephrin shots and then a trip to the ER for IV antibiodics and fluids, an MRI to rule out kidney stones, etc. I got so nauseated from the antibiodics that I couldn't keep anything on my stomach and then it was just a downhill spiral.

I ate dinner and then took my first pill and... yep... already pukish... I hate this. I was on the phone with a friend and they said, "well you sound good". Hadn't taken the antibiodic yet. Now... I have that sort of drunk nausea where you have to lay perfectly still to keep from spilling your guts. That's what I'm doing. Laying perfectly still.

G'night y'all.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Heather, I hope you feel better. I'm sorry to hear that you have such a hard time tolerating antibiotics...did they try Bactrim? Whenever I've had to take antibiotics, I've always tolerated that one very well, and it's very inexpensive. No matter what, just make sure you take the entire prescription. Feel better soon, hon!

Beth

Gwendolyn said...

Oh, I am cringing just thinking about it! I have had a kidney stone now for...I don't even know. Many moons. It's too big to pass, and I don't have the time or the money to go in and get it zapped into little pieces, so there it sits. Every now and again it lets me know it's still there, and I take a pain pill until it leaves me alone. Eventually, I will run out of pain pills and be forced to go to the doctor again. LOL. Anyway, all that was to say that I have great sympathy for sick kidneys. I hope you feel better soon!

Myra said...

Ugh, sound painful! Was it stress that brough it on? You've certainly had your share. At least you're on meds - even though they're hard to take, they'll eventually help! Take care...