My People

My People
My matched set of grandchildren - Oliver and Cosette

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

what if...

How fortunate we are, you and I, that our sins have remained hidden, covered, blotted out, forgiven, covered by the blood of the lamb. How fortunate we are that our debts are paid by the sacrifice of a loving and merciful God. What would happen, I wonder, if Jesus had not yet come to save this world. What if we still had to perform a blood sacrifice for each transgression? Would we live differently if we had to get the blood on our own hands? If we had to listen to the screams of an innocent animal who was put to death to make sure we could still hope for salvation? How much more Holy would we be?


What if there were no God? What if the guilt and consequence for every mistake I ever make for all of my life, both intentional and unintentional remain for all eternity? What if there were no Savior to stand beside me at judgement and say, "I've already paid the price for what she has done". What if there were no hope of eternal life? What if death were the end? What if my lonely cries of help went unanswered? What if there were no compassion in this world? What if hearts were hardened to care only for themselves?


What if we lived under Old Testament law still? What if we could not boldly approach the Throne of Grace? What if we had to go to a priest or intercessor instead of speaking directly to Jehovah God? What if we were not adopted into the kingship of Christ? What if we were not part of the family of God? What if we were not in a place where we could worship freely? What if there weren't churches on every corner? Would we risk our lives to assemble in worship?


There is a woman in Africa (the woman on the right) who my sister-in-law met this summer who couldn't walk so she crawled several miles in the dirt to go to church. She had some cheap rubber flip flops to protect her hands. Would I be that determined to worship God? Surely HE would understand my limitations, right?
In my relationship with God, He is always the one asked to give, to understand, to forgive, to be benevolent, to accept my weaknesses. How many relationships in your life would survive if you were always the one taking and never the one giving? How many relationships survive when you essentially ignore the other person until you need something? How much of the happy, positive, strong part of me am I giving to God? What if I gave Him my best instead of just giving him the rest?
Wishing you all a day filled with love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control....




3 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

We are so blessed by having religious freedom here in our country. We have so much that others don't. 'On Ya'-ma

Big Mark 243 said...

Good post, good thoughts to reflect upon.

Heavenlybama said...

Great thought provoking post Heather. I want to thank you for your email after the sudden death of my Dad. Hugs....